Interior drain for rear valance GT6

AidanT

Continuing on the theme of water in the cabin I have noticed that sometimes I have water in the gt6 boot between the rear valance and the boot floor where there seems to be quite a sizable water trap 

Should there be a drain hole somewhere and if so where exactly?

Thx 

Aidan 

Aidan.  Simple answer is no there is not a drain hole.  I would suspect water laying on the lower lip of the tailgate aperture that ends up making it's way past the rubber seal.  Many years ago I recall a topic on the old Forum or in The Courier of somebody who fitted a couple of  drains (peened over brake pipe if I recall correctly) in either corner and led flexible pipes to a union and then out of the floor.  Been meaning to do something similar but keeps being overtaken by events.

Dick

Guys,

There is a drain hole on the mk3 under the fuel tank on the left hand side. This is because there is vent in the fuel cap which falls into the tail gate. What comes through is water from ingress into the fuel cap, the filler pipe being sealed by rubber plug, so no fuel involved. On previous models the vent goes via a pipe to a vent in the floor. 

Doug

Doug, you are correct but that fuel vent pipe and associated grommet does not provide the drain Aidan seeks.

Aidan, I think, but cannot be sure, the bottom of the valence. Will have a rummage around later today and see if I can find out; time should allow as it's pouring with rain again so work on the boat will have to wait! 

Dick

Aidan, 

If you have access to the DVDs it is in the April 2007 Courier (Nos 322) page 15.  The mod was to ease the problem of corrosion in either corner of the tailgate aperture where the water will sit unless wiped away; when I restored mine the whole of the metal in that area had disappeared and I ended up making the complex shapes and then welding in.  For the drains he used the spigot ends of disposable fuel filters and then led it through a new hole in the boot floor; as Colin Lindsay (GT6 Reg Sec at the time) pointed out you could use the existing fuel vent hole. 

Dick 

Hi Dick

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I don't have access to the DVD's and my new computer actually does not have a DVD drive :wub:

If anyone could kindly stick a pdf on here I would be grateful

Aidan

Water will and does get in everywhere; the petrol tank drain pipe through the floor; around the rear hatch and screen, through rustholes in the floor..... so you can determine the lowest point and drill a hole to let it all out again if you want. 

Aidan - I found the photos from that article on the rear lip drains - water does collect there and will rust through the metal, but as to whether or not it's the cause of much ingress inside is anyone's guess. 

The first photo is of the components used - and I don't have the article any more, so if someone will please publicly thank the member concerned who sent them to me, on my behalf - and the second and third are of the pipe system from top, and underside. I think the small plastic drain pipe simply vented through the floor alongside the petrol tank pipe near the O/s wheelarch. 

5acb7c08b007b_Lipdrain-parts.jpg.49be0892117c64ff8d5bf8740c7ae055.jpg

Lipdrain.jpg.e81fbb841ed072c7247578517ba34a2e.jpg

Lipunderside.thumb.jpg.d7a9a2c1052989bb9c7ee7adfbece0ae.jpg