Gearbox with D type od - oil spec?

no idea where that idea comes from  ..........there is no special,  ..........      there is  just whats specified 

this is for the whole triumph range  EP90  GL4  spec. for gearboxes and diffs

lots of comments around and on here about alternatives and more modern stuff that may suit 

you will find EP80/90 GL4   more available

the GL5  thats about can eat bronze  and non ferous bushes and baulk rings, copper thrusts  etc.    in arduous  transmisions

if you browse specs for laycock overdrives  A D and J they are designed to use engine oil,, in mots instances the triumph gearbox design wont last without an EP oil , so there was an agreement to use the EP90 GL4  product as its common to the gearbox and OD which have a common oil supply

pete

46 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

no idea where that idea comes from  ..........there is no special,  ..........      there is  just whats specified 

this is for the whole triumph range  EP90  GL4  spec. for gearboxes and diffs

lots of comments around and on here about alternatives and more modern stuff that may suit 

you will find EP80/90 GL4   more available

the GL5  thats about can eat bronze  and non ferous bushes and baulk rings, copper thrusts  etc.    in arduous  transmisions

if you browse specs for laycock overdrives  A D and J they are designed to use engine oil,, in mots instances the triumph gearbox design wont last without an EP oil , so there was an agreement to use the EP90 GL4  product as its common to the gearbox and OD which have a common oil supply

pete

I read it here, in the indented note, on page 2.303 of the W/shop manual. 

1FB7E3BE-CFFD-4B8E-A663-FF688C7F0D61.jpeg

I think thats a bit of  triumph  copy over red herring  , there is no special oil 

The wsm has no oil specs listed and  always refers you to read the drivers handbook, and top up with whats listed

in these its all makes EP90

It wont mention too much about GL5 as it probably was not an option when these were built

I dont think you can read too much into this odd statement,  

The vangaurd box used in 2000 saloons and TRs is far more bullet proof by design with good longevity still specs EP90

The Stardard 8 derived box on the small chassis cars is not as good and having the right oil is fundamental

With no part number to chase just what this note is trying to say ,  unless Dave has some clues about what was used on production 

I think use whats in the handbook but be sure its GL4  to be safe 

Yes best not used, when the name over the door changed and they imposed using their suppliers they changed Gl4 toGl5 Without question

We had many truck diffs with decomposed thrust bearings,, a warranty nightmare  something trouble free now lasted less than a year

Dont use it   keep in a can for door hinges and linkage etc.

Pete

Pete, having had a 111C Minx and a Gazelle many years ago I agree with your comments.

Gearbox - The Standard 8 gearbox started out with 28/34 BHP with around 45 ftlb torque. 803/948 cc engines. Its smaller and probably cheaper than the Vanguard gearbox. 

When it went into the Herald its engine was 948cc, Standard 10.  Everything grow from there. It was reworked over the years to take the increase of power and used EP oil to reduce wear.

The same is true about the diff.

Dave

myself and family have a few hundred years working for Commer Humber Hillman Singer ,etc

learnt to drive in a 111c 

Hillman Minx Series IIIC.jpg

and we had many  Minx , Gazelles and Vogue and Sceptres over the years,  starting from before the war ( not me) 

my first car was a souped up phase 5 sidevalve    mine was bright redImage result for hilman phase 5

why dont i have one  ....you couldnt call the early duo tone a Gaylook these days ...could you 

image.jpeg.19c3fbe5d7626fb5c906ab3fff33c266.jpeg

• Like 1

Dave / Pete.

I owned this car for a couple of years - absolutely loved it.

Hillman Minx Mk8 which had the 1348cc ohv engine prior to the engine being fitted in to the Series Minx cars; the earlier Mk's, as you know, had a side valve engine.

The only downside was the column change and quite often I would knock it out of gear with my knee on using the clutch. Selecting reverse made the column change go even lower so I sold it; basically I was too tall for the car :(

Servicing the car was a hoot, never had to deal with so many grease nipples !!

The new owner got a bargain for £3.3K - which goes to show these cars have yet to register on the "desired radar"

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00033.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi

Or my Dad`s 1940?? something, (a post war build) "Hunchback". Hillman with "Suicide" doors?. Rod and cable (Bendix?) brakes, which permanently needed adjusting!. Side valve Engine, and (I think) still a "Crash" Box?, Circular Smiths Heater (very posh!). I know when I drove it as a Spotty 17 years old, Double Clutching was mandatory!.

Hey Ho!, Memories eh?.

Pete