FACET ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP - The way forward ???

The fuel pump on my Mk2 Vitesse is very old (probably the original) and will be replaced.

Before replacing with another mechanical pump, I would like to know if a Facet pump is a better option.

I have nothing against mechanical pumps, just curious.

My fuel delivery system is working fine with recently overhauled carbs via Gower & Lee + new lines & hoses.

If this is the way forward, where is the best place to fit these units and what additional advice can you give, please ??

Finally, is there a specific blanking plate if the mechanical pump is removed or just make one up on the workbench ??

Thank you in advance.

Richard.

Hello.

Thanks for those of replies.

I have read the previous thread and taken on board the rebuild option. 

Mechanical pump stays

As such, case closed !!

Regards.

Richard.

3 things in favour of an electric pump.  A faulty mechanical pump can leak petrol into the sump unseen for ages - not good.  Being attached to the engine block a mechanical pump can suffer from getting too hot - vapor lock. It is easy to use an electric pump as an immobiliser by fitting an extra switch in the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

3 things in favour of an electric pump.  A faulty mechanical pump can leak petrol into the sump unseen for ages - not good.  Being attached to the engine block a mechanical pump can suffer from getting too hot - vapor lock. It is easy to use an electric pump as an immobiliser by fitting an extra switch in the wiring.

Hmmm… just as easy to say that a faulty electrical pump can leak fuel unseen into the boot, with the added risk of a spark… 

Trust me, a fuel pump leaking into the sump is a nightmare.

Happened a few weeks ago on our (proper) mini. New clutch plus change all the engine seals (clutch as the crank oil seal failed, went hard from the petrol) a real PITA. And even today I am chasing small leak, but not easy to track down......

Personally would stick with an original fuel pump with new quality refurb kit. After that, maybe a fuel pump from a carb'd motorbike or a huco. Facets are a bit noisy from experience, and fussy on where they are put. Plus need a regulator.

Thanks Clive.

After the previous advice given, I elected to stay with the mechanical pump and drop the electric idea.

Regards.

Richard.