Thanks

Adrian

Hello all

I've reached that Frankenstein moment and ...............he/she/it LIVES. Took a bit of spluttering to start with (and had to charge the battery) but what a relief to a novice! My thanks to all who have helped with advice and no doubt I will have just as many on the fine tuning, will have to double check the tappets as they are a bit noisy. Sorry filmed it upside down and the smoke is the manifold and engine paint cooking.

Anything I should do, watch out for other than leaks, etc

From happy chappie Adrian sitting down with a coffee and smile.  

IMG_1059.MOV

Hurrah! Congratulations!

It's a great feeling when you first get the engine running after some surgery (or, in my case, after it had sat in a series of damp barns for 25 years).

It sounds from the video to be running quite nicely. A bit tappetty but I see you've already got that on the list. Smoke from manifold paint can persist for a while - mine has overspray from the body on the thermal wrap of the tubular manifold so it'll keep smoking until I've clocked up a good few miles, I expect.

As to what to watch for, I guess it's mostly the usual things - leaks, low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, and bad noises (as I said, the video sounds OK on that front).

Well done Adrian, that is a very special moment.  Just over a yer ago I got my Spitfire restarted after a 12 year lay up and you are so right when you talk about it 'living' again. And, like you, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the many knowledgable, generous, patient and all-round good eggs on this forum. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Adrian

Well done Adrian that was a very brave moment as you have done quite a bit of surgery 

Fyi my replacement is now on your stand still waiting for me to do an initial compression test to see what I have to work with  I will no doubt soon be asking for your advice! :D

Aidan