Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

you may need to bring the gearbox up to sunny luton  ???  one day 

or as feargal is your daily driver some other plan could develope when we are allowed to escape 

is he still crash on 1st gear ???

Pete

All the other gears are as normal.

unfortunately I’m still using it to get to work. I’ve started as a Sainsbury’s delivery driver.

i do have the motorbike but I’d much rather take the car. I suppose it’s still drivable.

god knows when a trip to Luton will be allowed but That would help!

14 minutes ago, Paula said:

I’ve bled the clutch still the same double de clutch doesn’t work either. 

Thats not good Paula :(  Will he pull away in  second gear? Just thinking of a way of avoiding using second going up the box, it might not be to much of a problem going down as you could come to a standstill with third. I take it will go int second at standstill?

Tony.

im sure its drivable  even if you skip 2nd as much as possible   Im now thinking the mainshaft circlip has jumped out of place  its quite common

this allows the gear train to gain end float as the gears shift up and down on the mainshaft the motion is copied by the gear stick .

more so in 2nd /3rd than 1st or 4th 

easy fix on a non OD   on car ,   but more hassle on a OD box , 

an overdive box on the pannier of a scooter sounds like a straight line only drive  !!!

see how things progress , i dont  have the space to immobilise a car  so would prefer just a gearbox  

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

good thinking tony  if its a 3 syn on the 1600 then 1st is more emergency low  should take off in 2nd without too much slip time  involved

pete

That sounds like my Modern - the auto box starts in first - but is in 2nd quicker than you can say the first part of "A" and only drops back into first if you actually stop. (DSG box in a Skoda Superb)

if the deterioration in 2nd was sudden rather than progessively getting worse thats another indication the circlip has lost its function

it fits on the mainshaft behind the rear bearing so od and adaptor case have to be removed to get at it,  you can take this off on the car but refit needs some clever explanation  simple but on a need to know basis  ha ! 

see how the spring and summer evolve  with this blasted lock down  halting enthusiasm

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

im sure its drivable  even if you skip 2nd as much as possible   Im now thinking the mainshaft circlip has jumped out of place  its quite common

this allows the gear train to gain end float as the gears shift up and down on the mainshaft the motion is copied by the gear stick .

more so in 2nd /3rd than 1st or 4th 

easy fix on a non OD   on car ,   but more hassle on a OD box , 

an overdive box on the pannier of a scooter sounds like a straight line only drive  !!!

see how things progress , i dont  have the space to immobilise a car  so would prefer just a gearbox  

I’m sure I could pop up with the box and a cold beer when travel permits.

my mother lives in Harpenden so I’m up quite often.

2 hours ago, Paula said:

I can pull off in 2nd fine. 
that’s a shame though. I was convinced it was fixed

Sod's law again Paula one job turns into another :(  At least it should keep you going until the box comes out and Pete can wave his magic wand over it.

Tony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

there's a plan , i do have most parts to fix gearboxes and 40 yrs of experience to back it up 

I do all the locals , all get bottom of the  road warranty   Ha !!

Pete

Perfect!

Actually looking forward to it