Spitfire 1500 Core Plugs

Conor L

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my 1500 engine and I've come to a stop trying to remove the old core plugs. I've managed to get the 3 out on the carb/exhaust side and the 2 at the front however I cannot get the 2 behind the dizzy or the 2 at the back to shift. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove these before I damage something? Another question is, do I need to use some sort of sealant when fitting the new plugs?

Many thanks in advance,

Conor

You can drill and fit a tap screw to lever against , pierce it with a chisel and lever out,  no easy way , whatever you are unlikely to damage the block bore, 

Refit new dry  they need to grip, ifnyou feel you need a sealer get onenthat sets like loctite 374 or similar

Dont use a silicon its slipppery and good chance the plugs will escape  under pressure

Pete

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

You can drill and fit a tap screw to lever against , pierce it with a chisel and lever out,  no easy way , whatever you are unlikely to damage the block bore, 

Refit new dry  they need to grip, ifnyou feel you need a sealer get onenthat sets like loctite 374 or similar

Dont use a silicon its slipppery and good chance the plugs will escape  under pressure

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete, will try tomorrow. I did think that you had to fit them dry but I like to double check things if I'm not sure.

Conor

Thanks the replys. Thanks for sharing the link Paul, really helped with getting most of the plugs out. Yorkshire_spam, I think we've got a slide hammer at work which I might have the use because the 2 behind the dizzy are really fighting me! However ive managed to get the rest of the plugs out and tapped the new ones in.

tR3X1WT.jpg

2Edbb3x.jpg

EBafXCf.jpg

I'm also thinking about writing up a project thread about the restoration on my Spitfire, Is that something youd be interested in reading?

conor

26 minutes ago, Conor L said:

I'm also thinking about writing up a project thread about the restoration on my Spitfire, Is that something youd be interested in reading?

Always, It's good to see how others are doing/have done it but remember to include plenty of pictures.

Adrian