Wanted: Herald fibre dashboard surround

mpbarrett

Does anyone have a Herald or Vitesse fibre dashboard surround. I don't want thee wood dashboard but the fibre body.
Mine is very distorted (around the vent holes) and I want to replace it over the winter so am looking for parts.
Or is there anyway to repair it, was thinking about taking it out and making a jig to take the distortion out and then fixing it using PVA or similar. Any suggestions welcome.

cheers

mike 

Absolute hen's teeth in good condition. I know I have one for my 1200 convertible but it's got slight damage from years of use and I reckon that's the best I'll find, unless a NOS one turns up somewhere for £££££££££s. They do, occasionally.

I threw one out a while ago that had broken completely across the rear of the screen vent holes, I just couldn't work out how to do an invisible mend other than to have it covered as per the later cars, and in that case I may as well start with a later dash surround.

List it in the Parts Wanted section where it'll be visible for browsers who just might have a source.

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

thanks.

There is one on ebay but I am trying to get the seller to send pictures of the top so I can see if it bent.
Its in Blackpool a bit far from Cambridge to go and have a look.

Out of interest what are they made from?

cheers

mike

Hi Mike PM sent - the fibre dash is like an open weave hardboard - guess they were made wet and formed over a mould 

Paul 

4 hours ago, Badwolf said:

There is one showing on ebay in Neath, surely not the same one. Complete dash surround, facia etc. Asking £85 or offer plus carriage.

yes that's the one (there was another in Blackpool), still a long way from Cambridge.. I have asked to see some pictures of the top to see how distorted it is around the vent holes.

cheers

mike

We're obviously at cross-purposes here. I assumed it was the early pressed-fibreboard version which had no padded cover, but was just bare paint, as in the photo. Sorry!

This one on ebay is a late padded version of pressed card-like manufacture, a different base material altogether that requires a cover as it's too rough to be left raw. You can patch those in any way you like as they'll be covered by the vinyl outer. That's why I mentioned invisible repairs, as anything I tried in this area was very visible on the uncovered version. On my later cars I just reinforced it with very thin panels of shaped wood as reinforcing, with the vinyl cover over the top of it all.

herald-dash.jpg.9e2ec81434c5bd37f72431ee60fc7c40.jpg

Colin
I can imagine the early ones are difficult to repair, the later ones the repairs can be hidden away. I think I have got a good from Paul, needs a bit of work but that's fine as I wont change it until the winter. I also want to sort out the wiper arms as the drive gears are very worn and would like to add 2 speed wipers but maybe that needs a different topic (I know Nick has done it to his Vitesse).

cheers

mike