Please will someone tell me the correct arrangement for all of the various rubber and aluminum washers used between the body and chassis on a GT6. Canley’s website suggests only the aluminium washer at the inner front outrigger pos’n but, if I do that, the strengthening bracket floor to sill, will touch the top face of the outrigger. 

Hi Adrian. I don't know the answer to your question, except I believe you add the rubber ones until the body's straight & the gaps are right! Hopefully someone more learned will be along soon to confirm or correct me.

But I was talking to someone in the restoration business (David Picton) about the rubber washers and he commented that the ones available today just squash to nothing in no time. The originals, he says, had a fabric reinforcement so they tended to retained their shape under compression. If this is true then it occurred to me that reinforced rubber tubing - you know, the stuff with a fabric webbing to improve the pressure rating - slit open and cut into suitably sized washers might be a better bet ... if it happened to be the right thickness.

Cheers, Richard

49 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

Hi Adrian. I don't know the answer to your question, except I believe you add the rubber ones until the body's straight & the gaps are right! Hopefully someone more learned will be along soon to confirm or correct me.

But I was talking to someone in the restoration business (David Picton) about the rubber washers and he commented that the ones available today just squash to nothing in no time. The originals, he says, had a fabric reinforcement so they tended to retained their shape under compression. If this is true then it occurred to me that reinforced rubber tubing - you know, the stuff with a fabric webbing to improve the pressure rating - slit open and cut into suitably sized washers might be a better bet ... if it happened to be the right thickness.

Cheers, Richard

Richard, thanks. I remember now years ago (when I was 19) on my mk2 GT6, the rubbers being reinforced. It’s called insertion rubber, I’ll get some off Amazon and make some more as required. 

A043761D-BCA3-41B4-834F-95AE827CDC82.png

• Thanks 1

A few years back I bought poly diff mountings and the supplier, instead of sending me the large shaped bushes for the upper mount sent me a pile of the smaller lower ones, obviously intending that I should just stack them up on the diff mounting bolt. I went to a different supplier for the larger ones but then found that the lower ones (I had 12!) make a great body to chassis mounting rubber, and don't compress as much as the rubber ones. Poly ones might be worth looking into, given that the currently available rubber ones compress and distort a lot when fitted leading to a lot of creaking and moving about as the car drives.

photo2.jpg.a0b85a003d2e92c56f4768dde8925bb0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI

From memory the aluminium spacers were only fitted between the underside of the  spring tunnel which is double skinned, and the top of the two rear chassis turrets. Probably due to the overhang of the rear of the tub on the small chassis triumphs.

Mark