Fitting mini light wheels on a Herald

Hi I'm about to purchase a set of alloy mini lights 13x5.5 for my Herald 13/60, It has standard Spring setup what size tyres would be recommended.

I have read somewhere that it will need longer studs and LR Freelander studs are ideal, what thread would these be as the wheels come with nuts and want to make sure they are the right thread.

cheers from a newbie to the forum.

Ive got minilites of the same size on my Vitesse and the studs which I believe are the same as yours have been fine with no modification. Of course I have used the correct wheel nuts for the wheels and these protrude well into the holes so that theres plenty of thread to screw onto the original studs.....

• Like 1

THE STD STUD IS 3/8 × 24 unf 

Freelander or ford are 12mm metric 

Big saloon or TR are 7/16unf   also available and a straight fit  if you want to keep unified thread 

5.5 rims suit a 175 /70  tyre ,  (a  profile to suit the orig rolling circumference , )

All down to preference,   dont go mad with the costs as age will render the tyre change before it wears out 

With any wheel change the sidewall neeeds to be aligned and supported by the rim so too narrow or to fat is bad news for tyre tread support

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

THE STD STUD IS 3/8 × 24 unf 

Freelander or ford are 12mm metric 

Big saloon or TR are 7/16unf   also available and a straight fit  if you want to keep unified thread 

5.5 rims suit a 175 /70  tyre ,  (a  profile to suit the orig rolling circumference , )

All down to preference,   dont go mad with the costs as age will render the tyre change before it wears out 

With any wheel change the sidewall neeeds to be aligned and supported by the rim so too narrow or to fat is bad news for tyre tread support

Thanks for the info Pete I think it has 155 tyres on the standard rims, shame as they are good tyres, might see if anyone in my local classic car club are interested in them.

get one fitted see how it looks , it may be fine , what you dont  need is a wide rim with narrow tread and walls \_/    this is ok  |_|  not  this   /_\   if you get the drift

std rim on 13/60 is with luck a 4.5J"    so   5.5 is   adding a  1" to the rim width   which is were the general replacement is the 175 

too wide can make steering parking quite more effort (drag)  , ,the foot print doesnt change much as load and pressure is unchanged 

most modern tyres do like higher than old handbook figures so an extra 4 -6 psi is often found best 

Pete

• Like 1

It is also important you get the correct Off-set on the Wheels, I had some Dunlop D1 Replica Alloys fitted on my old Vitesse and these were ET-19 Offset and a perfect fit.

If buying from one of the usual Triumph suppliers they should be correct, but check the Offset

Regards

Gary

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

It is also important you get the correct Off-set on the Wheels, I had some Dunlop D1 Replica Alloys fitted on my old Vitesse and these were ET-19 Offset and a perfect fit.

If buying from one of the usual Triumph suppliers they should be correct, but check the Offset

Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary, the seller has asked me to ring them when I'm ready to order to make sure I get the correct wheels.

• Like 1

I've been eyeing up a set of JBW Minilites as they are more cost effective than having my existing real Minilites refurbished! The ones I'm considering are 13 X 5J with a 20 offset for around £70 per corner. Current Minilites are the same size and running 175/70 tyres. I may swap to a set of 165/80 if I go for the new wheels - slightly greater diameter, but my speedo will take the minimal change and still read just under.

Gully

really recommend the 165/80 size as for me they give a great balance of steering weight, noise and footprint. Also drop the revs by a useful amount (I dont have overdrive) but these days theres limited choice as the main users used to be vans and caravans but things have moved on..... 

24 minutes ago, johny said:

really recommend the 165/80 size as for me they give a great balance of steering weight, noise and footprint. Also drop the revs by a useful amount (I dont have overdrive) but these days theres limited choice as the main users used to be vans and caravans but things have moved on..... 

That's really useful feedback - thank you. The Blockley Tyre Company 165/80 HR 13s get a good write up - £69 per corner and a classic look.

Gully

Theyd have to be very good for that price (I take it thats not fitted) and I personally would want to pay around 30 pounds each as I think top end tyres are wasted on my Vitesse taking into account how I drive, the milage I do, the conditions I drive in (dry n quiet) and the 50 year old design of my suspension....