Huco Fuel Pump

Paul H

Started to plan installation of a Huco fuel pump in my Vitesse mk2. I have to change the fake R9 fuel pipe an eBay purchase as it’s “melting from the inside” some of the sludge is picked up by the filters but not all of it. Once the the fine sludge reaches the needle valves it’s game over. I now have the correct fuel pipe purchased from the TSSC shop  Gates Barricade which is R9 Ethanol proof.

A few ? please

The pump is a  Huco 12-14v low pressure fuel pump133010 for engine bay fitment and is a “pull “ type but can’t find the fuse rating. My best guess is to use a 10 amp fuse . Is this ok . I have a spare fuse on the ignition bladed fuse box .

Does the Huco need a relay?

I have purchased from EBay a second hand Rover 25 inertia cut off switch . I was planning to locate the switch vertically on the bulkhead by the battery with the  Huco on the side valance adjacent to the location of the manual fuel pump which is now removed and blanked off .

Any comments regarding location appreciated.

The cutoff switch had 3 connectors  , negative, positive and fault feed. Plan to use this connection to trigger a flashing led on the dash . The led is currently in place and is a “fake” alarm operated by a hidden switch . Should the inertia switch be triggered the dash led would light

Any advice appreciated 

Paul 

Hello Paul 

I had one fitted to Spitty for 4+ years fuse sounds about right and relay not needed 

I put my put my pump on the flat baulk head by the washer bottle as to the warning light no need if it trips you will soon know as the engine will stop! mine has never tripped even when hitting a big bump do will if you give it a good knock with a soft hammer

I also put a push on push off switch in the glove box as a antitheft device and to turn it off if you want power but no pump(timing etc)

Roger

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Paul 

I had one fitted to Spitty for 4+ years fuse sounds about right and relay not needed 

I put my put my pump on the flat baulk head by the washer bottle as to the warning light no need if it trips you will soon know as the engine will stop! mine has never tripped even when hitting a big bump do will if you give it a good knock with a soft hammer

I also put a push on push off switch in the glove box as a antitheft device and to turn it off if you want power but no pump(timing etc)

Roger

Hi Roger, did you mount the Hugo vertical ?

Paul 

Fitted a Huco in my Herald a few months back, very pleased with it. 

Mounted on the LH engine valence where it gets plenty of air circulating, cut-out on bulkhead next to the battery which triggers an audible alarm behind the dash.

I think the pump needs to be horizontal just as the SU type does. Will post some pics tomorrow. 

Clifford. 

• Thanks 1

1837059286_FuelPump2.thumb.jpg.aed6aa38203f384e8a9bd913a6b4fb8e.jpg

Here's where I mounted mine. It's a bit higher than I would have chosen but I used holes which were already there and it does mean there's plenty of room round it for getting at other bits. Plenty of room for the filter too.

1258668337_FuelPump1.thumb.jpg.c8820ed3f2a3bef1d56507f204f960a7.jpg806904055_SafetyCutout.thumb.jpg.c72133735414aa5525130a11d2175caa.jpg

The cut out is from a Ford ka and just fed from the ignition circuit. Not sure what current the pump draws but I would imagine very small as the flying leads are pretty thin, can't actually measure the current of course as it only pulses. The spare cut out terminal triggers a loud piezo under the dash as I want to know instantly if the fuel has been cut off, rather than wait for the engine to die, in the hope that it will give me time to pull over safely and get the hazards on. It's also quite reassuring if you should hit a pothole, to know that the cut out hasn't tripped.

Hope this helps,

Clifford.

2 minutes ago, Clifford said:

1837059286_FuelPump2.thumb.jpg.aed6aa38203f384e8a9bd913a6b4fb8e.jpg

Here's where I mounted mine. It's a bit higher than I would have chosen but I used holes which were already there and it does mean there's plenty of room round it for getting at other bits. Plenty of room for the filter too.

1258668337_FuelPump1.thumb.jpg.c8820ed3f2a3bef1d56507f204f960a7.jpg806904055_SafetyCutout.thumb.jpg.c72133735414aa5525130a11d2175caa.jpg

The cut out is from a Ford ka and just fed from the ignition circuit. Not sure what current the pump draws but I would imagine very small as the flying leads are pretty thin, can't actually measure the current of course as it only pulses. The spare cut out terminal triggers a loud piezo under the dash as I want to know instantly if the fuel has been cut off, rather than wait for the engine to die, in the hope that it will give me time to pull over safely and get the hazards on. It's also quite reassuring if you should hit a pothole, to know that the cut out hasn't tripped.

Hope this helps,

Clifford.

Thanks Clifford - very helpful - I was concerned the valance location might be too hot as although the HUCO is designed for engine bay there is a warning that it mustnt be in direct heat - i guess this is cover against fitting direct to the block like a coil . I will be connecting a failure warning for the same reasons as you  describe 

Thanks again

Paul 

Clifford,

Full marks for the warning signal to tell you that your cut out has - er - cut out.      Mine has an idiot light, and the one time it activated - I went over a kerb at speed - the light had fallen back out of the dash, and I had no idea what had stopped me!  Especially as my cut out in ON the dash, and I could have reset it instantly to finish the race!

Not many audible alarms ona Vitesse, but worthwhile activating it now and then, A/ to test tha it works, and B/ to recognise it when it does!

JOhn