How many spring leaves in a Herald spring?

Hello Mark,

I can confirm Clive's response - Vitesse has 11x leaves; photos attached + a shot of  stainless steel sleeve used when I refurbished mine last year.

Best wishes.

Richard.

LS5.JPG

LS6.JPG

LS32.JPG

LS30.JPG

Clive,

As such, does the van / courier have more leaves ?? For some reason 12 or 13 leaves spring (excuse the pun) to mind ??

Or is it a case, less springs but more beef per leaf ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello David,

I've used Denso tape for leaf springs on other classics and have to say it is excellent stuff - not that expensive either, purchasing the proper Denso is the best option as "like" brands are not nearly as good.

As you say proper graphite grease (mine was Penrite) is really the only item to use - ordinary grease does not contain the same properties to keep the leaves moving and using Copperease etc is a no-no.

Stripping the transverse leaf down, cleaning and lubricating is a worth while job for obvious reasons, if you have the opportunity to remove the spring.

Thanks for posting the suspension info - very useful.

Regards.

Richard. 

12 hours ago, classiclife said:

I take it then, Colin, that the leaf spring on an estate is beefier albeit requiring less leaves - is that correct ??

Regards.

Richard.

Yes, about 60% stronger and a bit flatter. The courier is even better if you want a swing axle car that can be thrown about (I fitted a courier spring with a lowering block to my old Estate, and that car handled REALLY well despite looking a shed)

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well we paid Bill 

i dont remember the  shipped  from address   ha !

Pete

We have a batch of these made every five or so years, and Bill has always come forward to take a few, and make it viable, but we have always stocked the bulk of the production run (only sold the last of the last run last year).

We get Owen Springs to do them for us based on  MOQ (minimum order quantity) that would otherwise wouldn't be viable unless Bill had got involved.

Its a common story in the trade, a lot of this low volume stuff wouldn't get made unless another trader, or two tagged on.

Now if only I could have persuaded another trader to take a few of those Courier grills we did a few years ago.

On the subject of springs, I am having a nightmare trying to work out a spec for one on the back of my car. 

Currently using a slightly tired gt6mk2. Car has scooby diff and "rotoflex" but is sitting low and feels a bit soft. I bought a new spring from a reputable trader, but it sagged badly and bushes collapsed in a weekends use. Refunded, so no problem. 

But what I really want is a spring that will give me a little more ride height and probably slightly stiffer than GT6mk2. But IF i get one made by owens, I presume I would just ask for 25mm extra arch and 10% stiffer than std? Or is there a better way of calculating it? I do have a "oddball" spring I have been given by a friend, who has no recollection where it came from. It is new, 6 leaf with the curled under leaf clips (if that makes sense) so appears GT6mk2, but has about 40mm more arch than std. I may give that a go first. I could be getting good at spring swaps....