Trunnions

Daves picture shows exactly how the crack progesses across the upright and how  small the final section is before  it lets go

Ultimate failures  do seem to stack the odds to fail like curbing, sharp turns onto driveways   not so many at  speed thankfully

But it does happen ,  its   not an area to be ignored  and not bad when you consider how old some uprights are.

Would   going trunnionless still be around with road dirt wearing away at the spherical .????

Pete

Decided to strip and overhaul the front suspension as I haven't done it for a long time (and the shocks dont work very well) so here is my LH upright. 

Really want to change it if I can find available. Have cleaned up the surface but a lot of corrosion pitting on the surface although it not at the thread level and the thread looks ok.

Also looks like the bearing has picked up on the shaft (although the bearing feels fine) and  top of shock absorber almost worn thru the shaft. And I managed to break by joint splitter...
So all going very well....

I have already brought  new shocks, springs. The Trunnions look and feel good with no slack and have been regularly oiled. Top ball joint on both sides is so tight I cant move them once they are off the car, plan to replace them with grease nipples ones. List of new parts needed is growing but then it hasn't been doen for a while (if ever) and I have plans to do Scotland in April and the 10CR in September so she does need a bit of TLC.

Mike

IMG_20190223_154336.jpg

IMG_20190223_154358.jpg

IMG_20190223_154503.jpg

IMG_20190223_154055.jpg

IMG_20190223_154644.jpg

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Daves picture shows exactly how the crack progesses across the upright and how  small the final section is before  it lets go

Pete

A good quality well focused photo is require to see the crack propagation.

To me it looks as if the crack started in the small area at the 6-o-clock position and then failed rapidly across the larger area.

The ridge on the 3-o-clock side has just been pulled out.  If the crack moved across the large area to start with then the ridge would not be there.

That VL in the above photo is well and truly dead

Roger

bearing are supposed to spin on the sub axle  if you do reuse that upright a  clean up with some wet dry/emmery to smooth out the marks a little would be fine 

not sure the corrosion on the head of the thread is a problem , cracking starts within  the root of the threads  they look reasonable  

the seal face appears very worn has the tin cup been  fitted on the outside of the felt should inside next the bearing ???

so the felt runs against the stub.???

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

bearing are supposed to spin on the sub axle  if you do reuse that upright a  clean up with some wet dry/emmery to smooth out the marks a little would be fine 

not sure the corrosion on the head of the thread is a problem , cracking starts within  the root of the threads  they look reasonable  

the seal face appears very worn has the tin cup been  fitted on the outside of the felt should inside next the bearing ???

so the felt runs against the stub.???

Pete

Pete

I have never really understood how the front wheel bearings are meant to work. There is nothing to stop the inner bearing rotating on the stub axle but that seems a bit strange when you have a bearing.. I suppose the outer taper bearing is clamped to the shaft and so the inner part will not rotate.
Do you know why the inner bearing is designed to rotate on the  stub axle but then does it matter?

If I cant get a new link but there is no corrosion on the thread  and most seem to break on the thread rather than the part above.
If I cant get a new one then I will try to polish out the pitting.

cheers

mike

3 minutes ago, PeaTear said:

The nut wasn't a problem but the axle seems to be stuck fast in the VL

The WSM says to press out the stub, so I’m guessing that there’s some force required. It might be you need to take the VL out to do this but I’ve not done it myself so perhaps someone else might have a better idea.

13 hours ago, PeaTear said:

Is there an easy of removing the stub axle?

Not normally. The stubby will have been there for a long time and they can become cold welded simply by contact.

On my 4A back in the 90's they took over 20 ton. They went with a big bang and the press nearly took off.

Roger

By design all floating wheel bearing have a housing  clearance on either the inner or outer race so road impact is spread around  , not all in one place

so on fronts the outer ring is fixed press fit  in the hub  and the inner can turn on the stub axle,  look on the back of the D washer to see the light  spin  markings  

on swing  rear trunnions the inner is a press fit on the shaft the outer can rotate in the bearing  

this is correct 

the front Stub  spindle can be a real tight fit in its tapered location in the stub and takes a good level of impact to shift it

likewise on fitting  a new  spindle   do a few miles  retorque the fixing  back nut and reset the bearing end float  , 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thankfully I didn't need to remove the stub axle. The top ball joint was a struggle.  The VL look to be in good condition and I've got all the grease out, just to order a pile of parts and get it back together.

Is it ok to have one of the water shields missing, unfortunately these parts are no longer available

ok is was on the vit type upright , has a seal 0 ring

the spider upright has a rubber cup splash thingy  138559  

i cant source one from the places i use , seems its gold dust 

i presume it just shrouds the felt seal to keep unwanted out,  not used on any others i guess if its missing its not the end of the world 

could a peice of rad hose etc  make a shroud ??????

Pete

When you replace the felt seal you'll find them hard to fit unless it's an NOS original, they all seem to have been made by drawing around an old one so they're slightly too large, and distort easily. More than once I've taken new felt and glued it onto the original backing, which then slips straight in with no pressure required.

• 2 weeks later...

New parts have arrived and everything going back on. One question on the trunnions. How tight should they be on.  I can do they up hand tight and and back off approximately 1/8 of a turn and they are in the correct orientation or should I back off another full turn?