Spring Stud 136818

PeterH

To replace a couple of rather 'tired' studs that hold the spring onto the diff. (Mk3 Spitfire), I bought some new ones under the part number given in the parts book (136818) But they have come in considerably longer - 4,1/8" compared to 3,1/4" for the original. Are they acceptable ?

P1000209.JPG.e49a8af1b6b3aeffb74885c6a29de8eb.JPG

I would say youve been sent the wrong part. Looking at Rimmers you seem to have 131008 for the later swing spring back axle or possibly what you would need if fitting a suspension lowering block between the diff and spring on your car. It might work but I suspect if youre not using said block you'll run out of thread before the nuts are fully done up so best go back to the supplier.....

Does your rear spring comprise of 7 leaves?

If so I suspect the studs may be too long, most Heralds and Vitesses have springs comprising 11 Leaves, are correspondingly thicker and require longer studs?

You could probably use them if you use spacer Washers or cut them down but it does sound like they may be too long.

Gary  

or ask Canley how long their 131008 studs for the later Spitfires are as thats almost certainly the ones theyre confusing it with.

In fact Ive just seen that theyre showing as out of stock for 136818 (and even more expensive than Rimmers!) so could they be giving you the longer ones instead, surely not😲

the unthreaded  shank looks too long , even if you cut them shorter you may need  some spacer washers ...not recomended

they are  not listed in the hardware catalogue so that doesnt help

rimmers sell for most applications  131008  and 131008long for drop plates etc 

136818 is more restricted to include spit 111     6  leaf .   

its   not unusual to use the same base number with a suffix    might be where the supply has gone wrong ???

Pete

2 hours ago, PeterH said:

They say this is what they sell - and have never been told it is too long.

A few years back I queried a Herald wiring loom that had over six feet of purple cable for the driver's side courtesy light switch; it only required about six inches.The manufacturer told me that he had supplied hundreds, and no-one else ever complained... but to his credit he told me that now he was aware, he'd shorten all accordingly.

Maybe now THEY know about the diff studs, too....