GT6 Mk. 3 Strombergs

petegardner_901

Hi

Catalogues show an "insulating block gasket" sandwiched between two gaskets on the inlet manifold of each carb.

Every parts sales companies say 'not available' any more - only the thin gaskets that go each side of the insulating block. 

Do I need to worry or can I just fit the thin gaskets without the blocks?

Pete

Are you refering to the asbestos spacer 147660?

Unfortunately Burlen don't produce any spacer blocks for Stombergs, or didn't anyway, even though they make a great variety for SU. 

When I needed these for my sons car, I approached Mick Dolphin who did have some at the time; don't know if he still has any - listed as rare!

David

The stud spacing is different and, in my experience last year, the appropriate type of spacer for SUs doesn't exist. LOTS of big thick ones or ones that have designs you can't modify. I was actually looking for SU spacers and ended up modifying some spare Stromberg ones.

would you cut one from MDF with a fret saw  ???  or any similar diy material 

many where just a black plastic, 

mick dolphin does still list 147660 as 'rare'  £3.50p

old number like 58923/UKC490/TKC5741 all seem unobtainable

i would stiil ask burlen. shown in their kit parts 

Pete

Pete, a small part cut out of MDF and compressed will fall apart.  It not deisgned for that sort of use.   And heating it releases formaldehyde, which is poisonous.

A better bet would be Tufnol or Nylon plate, or even Teflon (PTFE) sheet.   All available for not very much on eBay.

John

Coincidentally, when handing my tatty CD150SE's in at Carburettor Exchange yesterday just one had an insulator block still hermetited to the flange and Dave commented that he would not be able to supply replacement blocks.

Is it an elf and safety problem connected with asbestos?

20 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Coincidentally, when handing my tatty CD150SE's in at Carburettor Exchange yesterday just one had an insulator block still hermetited to the flange and Dave commented that he would not be able to supply replacement blocks.

Is it an elf and safety problem connected with asbestos?

dont think its an H&S problem as theres alternative materials now, more likely to be: low demand plus low price = a profitability deficit....

30 minutes ago, Adrian Cooper said:

That looks easy enough to reproduce. I could laser cut one in acrylic, plywood or MDF if you think any of those materials would be suitable.

Adrian

The spacer advertised in the USA is not necessarily the variant the OP requires but they are all somewhat similar and I guess the correct thin gasket could be used as a template ..... ?

34 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

The spacer advertised in the USA is not necessarily the variant the OP requires but they are all somewhat similar and I guess the correct thin gasket could be used as a template ..... ?

The one in that link has four-stud fixing, which sounds more like an SU HS6 or similar. The UK market 150CD spacer is very simple - a 1.5" hole in the middle and two 5/16" holes equidistant on opposite ends, all in a diamond shape. Some versions of 150CDSE have a notch on one side of the big hole.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Its the sort of part we might get club  shop to get reproduced ??  I will ask Bern,

Pete

That is a great idea, Pete.  Amazing that none of the Triumph parts retailers/Carburettor restorers  have bothered to remake this very simple component.

39 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

In the short term, could these be improvised with a 2ba screw to plug the tapping for the vacuum connector

or, as you've got twin carbs, a short vacuum pipe between the two. Claim it's an "auxilliay balance pipe"😛

• Haha 1