Voltage Stabiliser - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi the fuel gauge on my Vitesse Mk2 has a mind of its own and from reading on tinternet its either a bad earth, the voltage stabiliser or a duff sender . The gauge never over reads and regularly goes to zero then back after 15 mins or so . Currently its under reading by 1/4 of a tank . This issue has been around for the last 18 months 

The earth is fine , so need to change the Voltage stabiliser to see if this is the culprit  - ive purchased one of the digital ones . Getting the speedo out is proving very difficult so asking if I can locate the stabiliser in a more accessible  place and rewiring.

The temp gauge is a modern type with a thick cable sender and pretty sure is independently wired so not relying on the voltage stabiliser  . 

Lastly is there a test to check the sender is ok or otherwise - would prefer to check with sender in situ 

Paul 

There are three tests for the sender units on the later cars fitted with the fuel/temperature bimetal gauges and a voltage stabiliser. Full/Hot, Half/Normal, Empty/Cold and with three resistors you can test their accuracy, just substitute each resistor in turn for the sender unit.  The values are as follows-

Full/Hot  =      20 Ohms.

Half/Normal = 72 Ohms.

Empty/Cold =  270 Ohms.

The original voltage stabiliser unit has to be earthed, screwed to the rear of the speedo. Some of the modern replacement also need an earth, but not all. I would read the instruction.

Dave

I agree with Chris, it's so light you can leave it to dangle. The original is earthed by bolting it to the speedo.  The electronics have a plastic body and three wires, 12v in, 10.5v out and an earth wire. An earthing point is easy to find behind the dash.

Doug

My solid state electronic one needed to be attached to something to earth it - I simply unscrewed the clamp knurled nut from the accessible side of the speedo, popped the stabiliser onto the thread the ran the nut back on. Works a treat.

Gully

2 hours ago, Gully said:

My solid state electronic one needed to be attached to something to earth it - I simply unscrewed the clamp knurled nut from the accessible side of the speedo, popped the stabiliser onto the thread the ran the nut back on. Works a treat.

Gully

That is what I intended to do but I dropped the knurled nut, hence why I used a steering clamp. I couldn't find the nut anywhere, until today. I was rummaging about behind the dials, as one does, and the nut suddenly fell out of where it was hidden. It is now back on the clamp. 😘

Update 

I was preparing to add new Voltage Stabiliser to feed the Fuel Gauge and I thought Id try another Gauge and the replacement Fuel Gauge works .

Need a full test to prove but so far so good . Normally I find the problem much later down the checking / replacement process 😄

Paul 

• 1 year later...

I was concerned with overheating so I put my temp sensor in a pan of boiling water, left it to be at temp for a while and then measured the resistance.

While this was warming up I earthed  the sensor wire through a resistance box and with the engine running, set the resistance to put the needle just into the red at the end.

For mine I had to add resistors in series with the sensor to make it the same as "tested" value for boiling hot.  I then knew that with the needle in the red it was at unpressurised boiling.  The readings came down on the gauge and weren't so alarming.