Upol gravitex stone chip

Hi.

I know that the gravitex is over paintable but does anybody know if it has to have a top coat? 

I have used it on the bottom of the tub and arches etc and i quite like the matt black look but iv read a few things to apply a gloss black top coat.

If anyone has had any experience with this and could give me a bit of advice that would be great. Thanks.

uPol themselves say it can be used to replicate the appearance of original stonechip coatings, so I assume this means unpainted especially as they say it's available in black, grey and white. The page I read said that if you want it to 'radiate new'  - and I take this to mean having a shiny finish - then you must apply a particular coating, but it doesn't say anywhere I could find that it must be coated in every case.

1 hour ago, chrisbladen said:

If anyone has had any experience with this and could give me a bit of advice that would be great

Chris, when I restored my GT6 some 12 years ago I did the underside, including the arches and front bulkhead , in Gravitex stonechip and left it black (no overcoating).  It has stood up to regular use, including to Le Mans Classic 6 times, with no problem and regular aerosol stonechip has been used to touch up if required.  With the latter any change in appearance disappears after a couple of days once fully dry.  Sills were also done but they were top coated white with the the rest of the car.

Dick

ps The purists will tut but I also did the interior in stonechip and that has meant no worries about scrapes and suits me, and the car. 

Chris, that's correct, up to the bottom of the recess and held it at the same height on the wings. The only time anything has suffered very minor marking is when driving on recently resurfaced French roads before the excess grit has been cleaned up.  Dick

In a recent thread on here, I was asking if generic stone chip needed over painting, as I didn't want to (as seemed to defeat the object).

It seems it may be classed as a primer, and absorb moisture, so will need over painting.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

13 hours ago, daverclasper said:

In a recent thread on here, I was asking if generic stone chip needed over painting, as I didn't want to (as seemed to defeat the object).

It seems it may be classed as a primer, and absorb moisture, so will need over painting.

Dave

Yep, ordinary stonechip is just the same as ordinary primer. uPol seems to be a different kettle of fish.