GT6 mk3, alternator connection

School boy error o’clock. I dismantled the alternator connector block without getting a shot of it. No excuse nowadays. The workshop manual is the same as in the attached picture of the rear of my alternator, read left to right: large brown/large flag terminal, then small brown to large flag terminal and finally brown/white to small flag terminal. Do you concur? Thank you. 

3E1C268F-BF38-439D-A398-DDF1037928B8.jpeg

A5064231-6B30-4C8C-A71C-92622E39C68C.png

Yep, the big terminals are battery, the small one is the warning light. On some early alternators, the two big terminals were "feed" and "sense" (these units were sometimes called "battery sensed"), while all modern ones simply have them connected together internally (called "machine sensed").

4 hours ago, NonMember said:

Yep, the big terminals are battery, the small one is the warning light. On some early alternators, the two big terminals were "feed" and "sense" (these units were sometimes called "battery sensed"), while all modern ones simply have them connected together internally (called "machine sensed").

Thank you “non-member”. 

On 11/06/2019 at 15:08, Pete Lewis said:

i hope youre going to re crimp or solder those wires ????

Pete

Plan is to crimp and solder. Crimping those 3/8” terminals is easier said than done though. If all else fails I’ll wrap some tape around them and pop on a couple of cable-ties. Rebuild the plug and retain the cap with some chewing gum. Wrigleys of course, not some cheap stuff. 

• Like 1

If you crimp and solder, you should only solder the end furthest from the insulation. You don't really want solder flowing into the part of the wire that might get flexed. You need the right crimping tool to do those right-angle connectors properly.

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

If you crimp and solder, you should only solder the end furthest from the insulation. You don't really want solder flowing into the part of the wire that might get flexed. You need the right crimping tool to do those right-angle connectors properly.

£45 and that’s not the one for 3/8” terminals. I couldn’t find one for them. Needless to say (bit Alan Partridge),  I’m not buying one. 

On 14/06/2019 at 10:07, NonMember said:

The electricians at work just stare at me blankly when I talk about non-insulated terminals. When I move onto non-insulated flag terminals and show them one they shout at me and run away!