Radiator cowl top bracket ?

ASP123

Hi all

potentially another stupid question, but I’ve just received a new ally radiator cowl for the gt6 to replace the old card thing. 

I can see how the bottom of the cowl is supposed to fix to the radiator/chassis bracket but there are also holes near the top of the cowl that don’t have anywhere to attach to. 

I’m assuming these are to attached it to the valance boards, but the car doesn’t currently have them. 

Is there anyway to still attach the cowl without the valance boards? Should there be a bracket at the top of the rad?

It seems it will be a bit top heavy otherwise. 

I have aluminium side valences and my cowl only attaches to them, there's no other way to attach it. It doesn't even attach to the radiator. Does yours have sides / legs that go right to the chassis? I'm assuming then yours is a different design; can you post photos?

DSCF3472.JPG.d1b7778585ceac3841f7a494c553c528.JPG

ASP,

I have the cowl and valances and it is as  you suggest. The cowl attaches to the radiator mounts at the bottom. The valances bolt onto the cowl top and bottom keeping the whole thing ridged. I can see that the cowl on it's own would be a bit flimsy, others have had them crack on the seams probably due to vibration. In fact the last I heard the club shop have stopped selling them until this problem is solved. If you go for the valences they require some fettling to make them fit, I am however very pleased with the installation, the cowl drops the rad temperature by a whole division on the gauge!

Doug

Doug - I made some ali side valences last year but never got around to fitting them. Do you think that they make a difference for engine temp. I think most people consider them as just for pretty. I have not vented mine in any way to assist air flow... at the moment.

ASP,

I found a picture of my cowl and valence. The cowl goes on the front of the radiator bracket, but the valence has to go on the rear of the bracket which means there's a gap at the top. Tightening it up would distort both cowl and valence so in the end I put in some japanned washers. 

BW,

The cowl certainly makes a difference, but not sure the valences do very much. I got them because of the issue ASP has raised, but mostly because they look pretty! Mine were from the club shop and they came with vents.

Doug

cowl2.PNG.3208819bd4cabed12b5898eacc399fab.PNG

• Thanks 1

I fitted an aluminium cowl without valences. I made up two brackets using aluminium angle with two holes at the bottom to fit onto the radiator bracket and two at the top to fix to the cowl. Essentially two legs. I also mechanically reinforced the main folds in the cowl with a couple of small angle brackets as they looked vulnerable. 5 years in and no issues! As Doug mentioned - dramatic improvement in cooling.

I've not got any photos to hand, but if I find one I'll post it.

Gully

• Thanks 1

I've taken some photos tonight. I spaced between the bracket and cowl top fixing to get it to sit against the radiator without distortion. You can also see where I reinforced the folds of the cowl prior to painting.

Hope this assists,

Gully

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1