missing holes !!!

Pete Lewis

my friendly mot man keeps bleating about i have excessive end float on the rear hub of my  2000 mk2 so off with the wheel drum 6 nuts and pull the shaft out the gaitor ...simples ,being of cautious mind  Hmmm.  i called paul (Gully) and today we decided its well within the 0.002" spec so put it all back  

great help from my younger farternity  as once on me knee's i forget why im down there 

here's the rub  have had in cupboard for a year some new drums care of a one of our friendly good suppliers on offer cheap .

its all on and torqued up jack stowed and tea brewing when looking at the old drum  the new does not have the 18mm open holes to allow de adjusting the pawl and ratchet adjuster , so its off with the wheel and drum and cone cut two new holes , i do  have a draw of holes but all the wrong size  

well its cooler today jobs are easier in 22c than 36c when im on strike 

Pete

Thanks a lot Colin  ,

meant to add it needs extra friendly hands to align the master spline and get the shaft back through the gaitor

on me own i would still be fighting this simple task till lighting up time 

wonky knees ,  varifocals,    grease and dying lamp syndrome i mean 10mins to strip down      an hour of swearing till paul said lets shove

the gaitor up the  shaft and refit over  once assembled  .  dont you just hate clever helpers   !!!   done in 30 seconds 

pete

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Thanks a lot Colin  ,

meant to add it needs extra friendly hands to align the master spline and get the shaft back through the gaitor

on me own i would still be fighting this simple task till lighting up time 

wonky knees ,  varifocals,    grease and dying lamp syndrome i mean 10mins to strip down      an hour of swearing till paul said lets shove

the gaitor up the  shaft and refit over  once assembled  .  dont you just hate clever helpers   !!!   done in 30 seconds 

pete

In layman's terms - he can't get it in by himself. Even after taking ten minutes to strip down and with the aid of grease.

should have left the holes off, thought today easy fit the opposite new drum ...yeah

its off in 5 minutes, need to de adjust the pawl and ratchet , theres no hole visible in the pawl, so ok a quiet lever it up witha smal driver, 

cobblers, the thing has decided to jump off the ratchet and disappear,, so now its shoes off , thats a bit of a pig with the big hubs same on TR stag ect.  but its front shoe off ok , refit the pawl and fiddle the return springs back across behind the hub, so they all fall off  bu**ger

anyway its all on used the piers with a knotch ground in to refit the hold down washers , but needed three shreaded  wheat to press them in 

ive replaced these on other cars with a setscrew and nylock  nut far easier but decided i  had to persuasively push and shove the things back in place ...getting too old for fighting this stuff

drum on and a press of the pedal brought the exciting zippy sound of the ratchet opening up.

wheel on and cuppa after an 10 min job took an hour so a rang Doug and had a moan.

and the sun keeps disappearing 

Pete

dont rely on me  ,you can all start posts about whatever subject you choose 

So long as it involves senior moments , cock ups, misguided adventures and sacks 

Well if you live in Harpeneden  its  said    'sex '  is a thing you keep your  potatoes in.

Pete

• Haha 3