Engine Rebuild

Phil C

Hi All,

Just refitted the crankshaft, rods and pistons.

Block has been re-bored, crank has been re-ground so obviously with new bearings, pistons and rings.

How easy should it be to rotate the crank once all torqued down? I haven't rebuilt an engine for 25 years so lacking a bit of feel/experience.

I just want a little confidence before proceeding further!!

Currently it is very difficult to turn simply gripping the front pulley but needs a lever between the fan bolts. Is that normal?

Thanks

Phil

Did you oil, or better use a graphite lubricant in the bearings?     More important than how easy it is to turn - very subjective! - is that it turns smoothly, no hang-ups.   most of the resistance will be from the piston rings so make sure they are oiled too - no graphite there!

John

Liberally oiled everything. I checked the rotation at each stage. The crank was beautifully smooth on its own but as you say there is a lot of resistance from six pistons being attached. 

The rotation effort appears uniform with no obvious high spots.

On a freshly rebuilt 4 pot it took quite some effort to turn the engine over by hand as it was pretty stiff, and I had to use a socket and bar on the crank pulley nut to turn it over for setting the cam timing, rockers, etc, etc.  I used Graphogen on all bearings and cam lobes, pre-pumped the engine oil around until I got some pressure using a drill down the dizzy hole, but only used a very light smear of engine oil on the pistons.  When starting it for the first time it was fine and the starter didn't struggle.  With two more pistons than me I expect yours will be even stiffer to turn by hand.

With mine it was definitely the pistons causing the drag, because when it went over TDC/BDC every time it went suddenly easy for a few degrees. 

If you think about the loads applied by the rings it takes a lot to overcome the friction

Stiff   to turn yes , some change as forces legthen  with tdc , bdc and efforts to compress valve springs all add to what can be a huge effort to rotate a new build .

Pete

15 hours ago, Phil C said:

Liberally oiled everything. I checked the rotation at each stage. The crank was beautifully smooth on its own but as you say there is a lot of resistance from six pistons being attached. 

The rotation effort appears uniform with no obvious high spots.

Good to go, then!

John