Procedure to get Spitfire taxed.

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys,

My Spitfire Mk3 should be back from the body shop next month and hopefully by October it will be ready to use.

I have owned it for over 40 years, it is registered to me at my address and I have the V5 issued 40 years ago. It is pre-sorn.

I was thinking of doing the following,

1/ SORN it.

2/ Insure it.

3/ Apply for VHI status.

4/ Although not legally required MOT it.

Is there anything I have missed?

Cheers,

Brett

Brett,

My brother is in the same position with his Spitfire, although he's not had it long. The previous owner had it stored before SORN was introduced and it was trailered to my brother's garage.  He insured it and is just about to get it MOT'd then VHI. No need for SORN.

Doug

39 minutes ago, mishmosh said:

Club agreed value will be essential. 

There are hurdles to getting this. First, you have to be a member. :)  Second, to get the lowest rank, A3, the car has to be capable of passing an MOT, which practically I take to mean the first time you do it, it has to have an MOT.  I would insure the car even during restoration and then upgrade the insurance when the car has the club valuation.

Doug

When I first bought my vitesse the agreed value was the purchase price though they didn’t ask for proof of purchase price . After 6 months I was allowed to increase the value with photo evidence . That was with Carole Nash who I rate based on history with a write off that my SIL had . Now moved to agreed value with Classicline 

Paul