Best Wing Mirrors - Vitesse

Paul H

Hi just completed a round trip to the Wirral , about 450 miles . All went well other than at congested roundabouts had difficultly seeing behind me - The wing mirrors on the bonnet look good but next to useless . Mostly I used the internal mirror . I did try the cheap clip on ones which fix to the door by the quarter light but the vibration makes viewing difficult . Whats the best solution ? . 

Paul 

Tex door mirrors. Easy to fit but you have to drill two 1/4inch (ish) holes in the door. Just fitted them to the Spitfire, but still keep looking over my shoulder. Make sure that you get the convex glasses in them.

Current listing for mine (08.19)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Door-Mirrors-MGB-Triumph-TR4-6-MG-GAM258X-GAM259X-PAIR/142125648939?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you get thes make sure you ask seller to send convex. They are usually more expensive but he did mine for the same price.

Hello Paul,

I have mirrors on the bonnet and no issue at all.................. however that was not always the case and I did need to research different types of mirror. In the end I went for convex mirrors and these give a much broader field of view, significantly so. The upshot is excellent rear vision and no blind spots.

A lot of classic car mirrors are flat glass and the viewing area is small, additionally the physical size of the mirror is often too small to be of assistance.

Have attached a photo to show position and type I now have on the Vitesse.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

4 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

If you get thes make sure you ask seller to send concave.

Really ????

Concave narrows the field of vision whereas convex curves outwards ever so slightly and as such gives a broader field of vision. That is why some people have convex mirrors at their drive entrance to give a better field of vision on blind road areas / junctions.

30 minutes ago, Paul H said:

cheap clip on ones which fix to the door by the quarter light but the vibration makes viewing difficult .

Paul, do not know where/what you bought but my overtaking mirrors from the Club shop (not cheap) have been first class these past 10 years in a 'firm' GT6 Mk1.  No vibration, easy to adjust and stay adjusted. 

Dick

22 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

I have mirrors on the bonnet and no issue at all.................. however that was not always the case and I did need to research different types of mirror. In the end I went for convex mirrors and these give a much broader field of view, significantly so. The upshot is excellent rear vision and no blind spots.

A lot of classic car mirrors are flat glass and the viewing area is small, additionally the physical size of the mirror is often too small to be of assistance.

Have attached a photo to show position and type I now have on the Vitesse.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

Hi Richard , thanks for photos my mirrors are not convex so this looks like the source of my vision issues . Your mirrors are wider than mine which are 4 ins diameter . Looks like I need convex mirrors or change to rectangular . What’s the width of your mirrors ?

Paul 396695AF-2315-46E8-B4F8-ECA0FF04A038.thumb.jpeg.87a4bd710fbf64e770097bae75b3eaf1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Paul, do not know where/what you bought but my overtaking mirrors from the Club shop (not cheap) have been first class these past 10 years in a 'firm' GT6 Mk1.  No vibration, easy to adjust and stay adjusted. 

Dick

Hi , checked and my overtaking mirror looks to be the same design as the club shop ( held on by 2 grub Alan key bolts  ) . I think my issue must be the door vibration rather than the mirror . 

Thanks for your input and will try again, I think the price I paid was about £18 each 

Paul 

16 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I have the original Desmo wing mirrors on the Vitesse, flat glass, pretty useless. Does anyone know if you can upgrade to convex glass, or does it mean a pair of new mirrors?

Mark

Mark, the original spec Desmo mirrors , are they round or rectangular ?

Paul 

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

Your mirrors are wider than mine which are 4 ins diameter . Looks like I need convex mirrors or change to rectangular . What’s the width of your mirrors ?

Hello Paul,

Taken some measurements.

The full width is 14cm with the height closest to the bonnet being 8cm and outboard being 9cm.

They are TEX mirrors and have a reference of1206 - that may well be the mirror unit, with a choice of convex or concave - but "we" know which shape is required !!

The arm on my Vitesse is a swing back style which is very useful for obvious reasons.

This link may be of benefit for reference purposes, not necessarily price: https://texautomotive.com/classic_exterior_mirrors.html

I had these mirrors on my Alpine originally and they were so good I swapped them to the Vitesse prior to selling the Alpine !!

All is fair in love & war !!

Regards.

Richard.

Paul,

Further to my last, this is the company I used and exact mirror purchased.

https://www.europaspares.com/exterior-parts/exterior-mirrors/classic-mirror-head/classic-oblong-mirror-head-convex.html

Decently priced and have to say they are wearing / performing very well without issue, yes I am happy with them.

I was going up North and decided to drop in and collect the mirrors, so was able to have a good look at them prior to purchase..

Regards.

Richard. 

49 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Paul,

Further to my last, this is the company I used and exact mirror purchased.

https://www.europaspares.com/exterior-parts/exterior-mirrors/classic-mirror-head/classic-oblong-mirror-head-convex.html

Decently priced and have to say they are wearing / performing very well without issue, yes I am happy with them.

I was going up North and decided to drop in and collect the mirrors, so was able to have a good look at them prior to purchase..

Regards.

Richard. 

Thanks Richard for update , heres a couple of convex mirrors  i found which could suit 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEX-WING-MIRRORS-NOS-AUSTIN-MORRIS-WOLSELEY-RILEY-MG-ROVER-FORD-CLASSIC-CAR/362736117571

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DESMO-WING-MIRROR-NOS-AUSTIN-MORRIS-ROVER-TRIUMPH-SUNBEAM-FORD-MG-CLASSIC-CARS/362736114520

When you say swingback do you mean if the mirrors are knocked they are on a spring system to save bonnet damage ?

Paul 

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

When you say swingback do you mean if the mirrors are knocked they are on a spring system to save bonnet damage

Hello Paul,

Sort of.

It is the arm which fits in to the wing that has the sprung loaded mechanism -  if the mirrors were to be hit it is the arm that moves back or forth to absorb the impact. The mirror to arm fixing is quite rigid and can only be moved easily by freeing the screw slightly to adjust the mirror angle; once that is achieved the screw is pinched up enough to hold the mirror but still has a slight bit of movement for finite adjustment.

I can pop a couple of photos on tomorrow if required ??

Regards.

Richard. 

11 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

Sort of.

It is the arm which fits in to the wing that has the sprung loaded mechanism -  if the mirrors were to be hit it is the arm that moves back or forth to absorb the impact. The mirror to arm fixing is quite rigid and can only be moved easily by freeing the screw slightly to adjust the mirror angle; once that is achieved the screw is pinched up enough to hold the mirror but still has a slight bit of movement for finite adjustment.

I can pop a couple of photos on tomorrow if required ??

Regards.

Richard. 

Hi Richard , many thanks for info and now understand the swing back principle and explains that this is what I need as I’m always knocking the mirrors in the garage and resetting them even though they are currently useless ! . So the spec is Swingback rectangular concave . I’ll do my homework and add to Santa’s list for Xmas 

Paul