a list of nut and bolt sizes?

ludwig113

The official workshop manual contains such a list, but most reproductions omit it.

A Vernier gauge is most useful for measuring the size of fasteners, and the vast majority are 5/16th or 3/8th, with a few bigger or smaller, all obviously so.   And all UNF, even where a coarse thread would have been more appropriate (eg.alloy bridge piece)

John

• Like 1

Ludwig/Paul, 

Its in the original official manuals

But my point is that you don't need a chart.    The size of a bolt or nut, or threaded hole, is obvious with a tiny bit of practice, in comparing them, measuring them and recognising them.   Have a small set of test bolts, clearly labelled.     A 3/8 will not fit in a 5/16, and a 5/16 will rattle about in a 3/8.   And so on. 

It is impossible to.remember all the sizes and you will waste much time looking it up!   Get used to estimating and have your Vernier to.hand!

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Ludwig/Paul, 

Its in the original official manuals

But my point is that you don't need a chart.    The size of a bolt or nut, or threaded hole, is obvious with a tiny bit of practice, in comparing them, measuring them and recognising them.   Have a small set of test bolts, clearly labelled.     A 3/8 will not fit in a 5/16, and a 5/16 will rattle about in a 3/8.   And so on. 

It is impossible to.remember all the sizes and you will waste much time looking it up!   Get used to estimating and have your Vernier to.hand!

John

Only issue comes when reassembling a car you bought in bits ! 

Over on the Triumph Dolomite Club, Dave kindly provided a copy of the Standard Triumph Hardware catalogue: https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/view/hpS6mCM0mn?shareUid=369da33af68d45ada0c70e0b9b28b264

I find it helpful to be able to translate Triumph part numbers from the parts catalogues into something generic I can get from somewhere like Namrick.

• Like 1

And when you've got your list, that's when you find out the POs have used a breaker bar to wind in 'near enough' bolts with 'close enough' thread gauges. Or instead of being a threaded hole its just a hole, with a nut waxoiled to the back, the likes of which have never been seen by mankind before or since. 

I'm not convinced any two bolts are the same on mine.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ShaunW said:

And when you've got your list, that's when you find out the POs have used a breaker bar to wind in 'near enough' bolts with 'close enough' thread gauges. Or instead of being a threaded hole its just a hole, with a nut waxoiled to the back, the likes of which have never been seen by mankind before or since. 

I'm not convinced any two bolts are the same on mine.  

trust me, i wont be surprised when that happens...

19 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Over on the Triumph Dolomite Club, Dave kindly provided a copy of the Standard Triumph Hardware catalogue: https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/view/hpS6mCM0mn?shareUid=369da33af68d45ada0c70e0b9b28b264

I find it helpful to be able to translate Triumph part numbers from the parts catalogues into something generic I can get from somewhere like Namrick.

thanks for that but i cant get into it.

On 06/09/2019 at 11:27, ludwig113 said:

Hi all,

i've probably missed this but is there a list of nut and bolt sizes for all the locations on the cars we own, would be handy for chasing threads etc

mine is a gt6 mk3

cheers paul

Try the GT6 Vitesse Workshop Manual available from many good book shops or for free from my website: http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals 

Here 1 such page as an example.

Page from 0.111.jpg