Vitesse & Herald - Seat Replacement - MGF

I have mgf seats in my toledo. I fitted the adjuster gearbox side. Reason is simple in my case, the passenger seat was in better condition! This may well be the reason others fit this way round? Especially leather seats where drivers seats wear on the edges.

I fitted mine with the rake-adjuster on the door side.  Not because I wanted it here, it was because it resulted in the fore-aft adjuster being close to the gearbox-tunnell.  I trialled the seats the other way around but felt that the fore-aft adjuster might catch your trouser leg when getting out of the car.  I think it's down to personal preference.

Tom 

On a safety note dont use the seat belt fixing on the seat assy, the car floor without substantial reinforcement it totally inadequate in a crash , so stick with the original approved Triumph tunnel mounts

if you use the seat stalk fixings then the seat to floor must be robust not the weedy cage nuts as originaly

used to secure the seat

or you and the seat exit via the windscreen

pete

Hello Robin.

I think Clive & Tom have covered that question and to be honest I never thought about swapping them around. I'm happy with the way they are and after nearly 4K miles in situ they are still proving a great conversion to do.

The point Pete raised is absolutely 100% spot-on. The original Triumph stork mountings are the way forward and not to use the MGF units. I've sold all my MGF sets via Ebay there is a market out there for them.

Glad you are pleased with the outcome and once you have fitted one set, other installs are a doddle !!

I note in this months Classics Monthly there is a modified Triumph Herald with MGF seats fitted. They look superb, although the seat colour may not be to everyone's taste. 

Good luck.

Richard.

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard

Sounds good - will get some 5mm bars made up and give it a go

Once again thanks for explaining

Robin

Robin.

The shape of the Vitesse / Herald floor pan allows (by luck) for this bar to move freely without snagging. However, on the Alpine I had to use 30x10 flat bar and raise it by another 5mm so that the MGF rigidity bar cleared the floor design. 

If I remember correctly the rigidity bar is proud by 12mm; hence the requirement for a 15mm rise.

Of course for the Vitesse conversion you only need 30x5 flat bar; as per the design document.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - finally got round to fitting the mgf seats - followed your advice and they fitted perfectly. Really pleased with them. Thanks, Robin

That's great news Robin - you now have a comfier & safer seat(s) in place for the driver & passenger.

The other upside is that should you need to revert to the original seats, it is a simple matter of unbolting the MGF units and replacing the Triumph units as the mounting holes have remained unaltered.

All the best.

Richard.

Thanks for posting photos; the seats look really good!

I have had people assume that the ones in my car are original, which I take as a compliment.

I also installed after-market seat heaters (the covers come off easily for fitting) and I have to say they are one of the best mods.

Tom

Thanks for posting photos; the seats look really good!

I have had people assume that the ones in my car are original, which I take as a compliment.

I also installed after-market seat heaters (the covers come off easily for fitting) and I have to say they are one of the best mods.

Tom

followed this post with interest and on my todo list , re after market seat heaters, where did you source and is it practical to s till use Dynamo or upgrade to alternator

Best regards

Paul

Hello Paul.

I think it's fair to say that a dynamo is JUST ABOUT adequate for the standard equipment that is on the Vitesse, provided everything is not on at once. I have upgraded to an alternator due to the addition of some extras such as electric fan, improved headlights and ICE etc.

Triumph probably should have equipped cars from the late 60's onwards with alternators but as we know that was not the case for a lot of models. An alternator swap is an agreeable upgrade for all the correct reasons. If you wish to keep the "dynamo look" you can buy units that have been upgraded internally with alternator output. 

With regard to the heated seats, a Vitesse generates a lot of heat within the cabin thanks to the engine and the prominence of the g/box situated in the cabin. So it may be worth driving the car for awhile and see if the "internal" heat is sufficient to compensate for a toasted bum !! 

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Bivvyman,

As Richard says, an alternator is advisable if you're going to fit aftermarket electrical gadgets, and particularly seat heaters.  Fitting an alternator is a relatively straightforward mod and has, I am sure, been covered in this forum, and if not, definitely in a back issue of the Courier.

As for the use of the seat heaters, I have found them to be of huge benefit for top-down motoring.  They warm up almost instantly - far quicker than the car's own heater.  I use them quite a lot, particularly early mornings (as I'm currently using the Vitesse for work) and late evenings.  I would even go so far as to say that they make the car more usable; I have done a few trips in the Vitesse that I otherwise wouldn't have, had it not been for the heated seats.  Each to their own -  I have heard some people say they can't stand them.  But on a cold winter's morning...

The ones I fitted were Waeco.  I bought them on Ebay.  Mine have a simple on/off switch but now I see you can get versions with a number of different temperature settings.  Personally I would avoid ones with more than two settings, as I know I'd be forever fiddling with them.  I used Mazda RX7 switches (also eBay) as the ones that came in the kit weren't that nice.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom 

Hello Paul.

I take it you have a Vitesse saloon ??

If that is the case the MGF seat conversion lends itself even more so to the saloon as the B post does not intrude in to the cabin space as much as those of a CV. 

The B post on a CV is wider so that it can accommodate the frame and hood set-up when it is in the down position.

With the saloon the B post is shallower and as such allows the MGF seat to travel back even further or reclined more depending upon your driving seat favoured position.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

I take it you have a Vitesse saloon ??

If that is the case the MGF seat conversion lends itself even more so to the saloon as the B post does not intrude in to the cabin space as much as those of a CV. 

The B post on a CV is wider so that it can accommodate the frame and hood set-up when it is in the down position.

With the saloon the B post is shallower and as such allows the MGF seat to travel back even further or reclined more depending upon your driving seat favoured position.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks Richard - I didnt realise about the B post in the convertible , I was thinking that the head rest might hit the roof when tilted forward 

Paul 

I pondered over saloon  head rest fouling when tilted hence the arrangement i made to just tilt the back squab, with a simple locking lever 

the best solution  but less fun  was a change to a big saloon with 4 doors   to get my golden oldie crew in the back  !!!

pete

Paul.

As far as I am aware, no MGF seats tilt forward only the upright rake can be adjusted.

However, MGF seats have an excellent seat runner length and the seats will move considerably close to the dashboard area affording plenty of space for passengers to get in the back.

If you want seats that actually tilt forward then the common option (but getting expensive these days) are those from a MX5. I'm not sure if their headrests are any higher or lower than those of the MGF. 

Regards.

Richard.

MX5 seats are a good fit in a herald/vitesse. Extremely comfy too (at least I found them so)

They don't tip forwards as far as I know, (like a triumph) but the back does.

I had some in my spit, found them a bit too high but otherwise great. In a friends herald excellent.

In an MX5 (just sold our MK1) they are perfect!!

Surprised MGF seats have real value, unless you are after top spec leather etc. Mine were v cheap and "just" cloth. Runners work a treat too as Richard has stated.

Hi Bivvyman,

As Richard says, an alternator is advisable if you're going to fit aftermarket electrical gadgets, and particularly seat heaters.  Fitting an alternator is a relatively straightforward mod and has, I am sure, been covered in this forum, and if not, definitely in a back issue of the Courier.

As for the use of the seat heaters, I have found them to be of huge benefit for top-down motoring.  They warm up almost instantly - far quicker than the car's own heater.  I use them quite a lot, particularly early mornings (as I'm currently using the Vitesse for work) and late evenings.  I would even go so far as to say that they make the car more usable; I have done a few trips in the Vitesse that I otherwise wouldn't have, had it not been for the heated seats.  Each to their own -  I have heard some people say they can't stand them.  But on a cold winter's morning...

The ones I fitted were Waeco.  I bought them on Ebay.  Mine have a simple on/off switch but now I see you can get versions with a number of different temperature settings.  Personally I would avoid ones with more than two settings, as I know I'd be forever fiddling with them.  I used Mazda RX7 switches (also eBay) as the ones that came in the kit weren't that nice.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

Hi Tom - So, I assume I don't need to find dedicated mgf seat elements? How easy are the Waeco ones to fit?

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin,

That's right; the Waeco ones are universal.  The heating elements are smaller that you'd expect but are remarkably efficient.  Obviously you have to remove the covers from the seats, which in the case of the MG seats was quite straightforward.  Just a few clips and things.  You need to take the seats out of the car to do it, so that you can turn them upside down.  I recall that I didn't  completely remove the covers - just opened them up enough to get the heating elements in.  These are self-adhesive, so you need a bit of wriggle room.  Then it's just a case of wiring them in.  They come pre-wired with separate relays (one for each seat).

Let us know how you get on. I don't think you'll regret fitting them.

Tom

• 5 years later...

Reviving an old post here.
I decided I need to fit a drivers seat into my Vitesse 6 and as I have a pair of MGF seats on the roof of the car I thought why not use them.
Also here it is 30 degrees celcius and as I live by the beach traffic is chaos and my Herald seats are 5.5kms but a 20 minute drive away
I had previously made the brackets as mentioned at the beginning of this post, had the correct fixings and modified the seats so in theory a simple bolt in job.
First problem was my car floor didnt have the captive nuts at the front but I found a pair of the smaller chassis plates with  nuts that will do the job nicely and I might use a body adhesive to fix them
But the bar under the MGF seat is lower than the bars I made so a hunt around the garage turned up some stainless steel spacers using two provided the perfect height, they are courtesy of James Cameron. Thanks Jim!
But I could only use 2 of them on the door side so I found a few aluminium spacers the same thickness but smaller diameter and used one stainless and one aluminium on the tunnel side, this was due to the fixing of the MGF rails to the mounting bar getting in the way. Also on the fixings on the tunnel side I have had to use allen head cap screws as I do not have enough room beside the MGF rail and the Triumph fixing hole. But I only had one length of 5/16 UNF cap screws so could only fix it at the rear. I will have to go hunt some down on Wednesday when suppliers open up again after their Christmas/New Year break.
The only other issue is when I slide the seat right back (I am 6'5") it digs into the tunnel so I might have to raise the seat and either use packers or remake the mounting brackets out of a decent thickness box section.
I did read that Pete had the seat hitting the tunnel problem as well and used packers to solve it.

This is the time to sort out these issues as I have another set of seats that I am getting retrimmed in leather as good ones. The ones I am experimenting with cost me NZ$1 a few years ago and the set I am getting reupholstered I went crazy and spent NZ$80.

So bloody hot I have had to go for 2 dips in the sea today (130m from the gate)and burnt my foot from hot tarmac.