1966 Vitesse Mk1 1600 Steering Rack Claps

Hi All,  Looking at replacing the "Rack Rubbers" when I came across (Ebay)  a "Alloy" solid Clamp Kit?  It is supposed to "Strengthen" and give "Better Feel" on the steering?  The set is £20 plus delivery?  The other alternative was "Poly Bushes" instead of rubber Any ideas?   Cheers Martyn

Poly  many of the alloy mounts are thin and rely on tube grip rather than the abutement shoulders on the tube 

Can end up with rack shift.in bad cases 

Poly stiffens and keeps,some resilience   and one important small plastic plug is the passenger side  anti rattle damper   its held in place by  Rubber or Poly but left to fall out with ally unless you trap it under a jubilee clip

Pete

I was originally going to go for alloy clamps on my Herald, but have decided in favour of polybushes instead. Alloy clamps were fitted to the early cars but then replaced by rubber; possibly for cost, possibly to reduce vibration. Rubber bushes wear and permit rack movement, and with the quality of modern rubber replacements being what they are I reckon a good set of polybushes will last, and keep the steering direct.

I fitted blue polybush from Canleys  to my steering rack on my vitesse mk 2 , made a very noticeable difference . The drivers side took no time but the passenger involved raising the engine , loosening mounting rubbers for access . 

Paul 

As Martyn's query has been answered..  might I go just a little off topic and ask if anyone has fitted the equivalent of a Panhard rod to their steering rack - to prevent sideways movement, without loosing all of the shock absorbancy and dampening of vibration through the steering - which rubber is so good at providing. ?