GT6 MK3 Fuel pump problems

NDP

I recently had my original fuel pump for my 1972 Triumph GT6 MK3 replaced by a new pump, supplied by Rimmers. After fitting I tried to start the engine but it wouldn't do so. The mechanic who fitted the new pump said that it was flooding the carbs and fuel was spilling out of them. The Triumph has recently gone through a comprehensive rebuild and was running fine until the fuel pump went (According to the AA mechanic who towed me home). The carbs have been through a complete refurbishment and again were performing fine until the fuel pump issue. 

The mechanic said that although the fuel pumps looked very similar, the new one was bigger. I asked Rimmers about it and they said that the spec was a bit different to the original but that it was the correct replacement part for it (Part number 213577). Has anyone out there used this replacement part on a Triumph GT6 MK3 with any success, or otherwise? Also I now feel like getting my old pump refurbished but kits to do so are only available for the earlier types of pump fitted to GT6 MK1's. Does anybody know of someone who refurbishes MK3 pumps?

Many thanks for all replies.

• 3 weeks later...

you can at least replace  the parts in a glass top,  some later ones had the valves staked in place , which is a challenge

they are a good pump, used on many makes in their day we swapped arms on a Vauxhall spec pump , its easy to make what you want from what you have on these pumps

Pete

There seems to be two models of replacement fuel pumps with this part number. These pictures are from Paddock and Rimmers respectively and I wonder if its one particular type thats giving these over pressure problems. Mine was the second type and has worked perfectly....

Picture of FUEL PUMP(213577)

Fuel Pump Assembly - 213577

Mine is the second type as well. Still trying to get it to work properly. Next step having a look in the bottom of the Stromberg carbs to see if any dirt has come from the old pump or fuel pipes.

Fingers crossed.