Brake servo - 2500

Mikeo632

Hello all.

My 2500 Estate has started hissing at me when I apply the brakes. My thinking is that this will be servo related. Apply brakes, get hissing, release brakes, hissing stops. Noise appears to be coming from drivers footwell area. Also getting a groaning/farting sound from the same area when brakes applied. Brakes initially work ok, but if I hold them on slightly down a hill, peddle becomes hard & braking deminishes/effort to brake increases (loss of vacuum?) If I pump tghe brake a few times with the engine off, then hold down the footbrake when starting, the peddle is hard, doesn't move down at all.

Don't want to mess with this due to potential serious problems when driving! Have phoned around, Rimmers can do a servo, £204 incl plus a £100 exchange surcharge, Canley classics can get it rebuilt for £160 incl, but need my servo & it takes 5-6 weeks.

Have seen the rebuild kits in the on-line shop. Anyone had any experience of doing this? I've never had a servo apart so have no idea of degree of difficulty or tools required?

Anyone any other ideas to help me out??

Mike.

bit cheaper  

http://www.ldpart.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=viewproduct&pid=775&cat=30&sid=sid847a0019246620044860f65f16f992bf

hardest job is getting the split pin out of the clevis /pedal   end 

servos are pretyy easy to strip and rebuild , internal spring can be quite strong, youres has a leak from  probably a split in the diaphragm  so it needs a rapid fix

on mine the whole platsic piston fractured coming into a roundabout, well we missed the bus  just , need gorrila feet when it fails   dont wait 

Pete

Hi.

Tony: Have checked the pipe from the manifold to server, looks good all round.

Pete: Will go for that if they can confirm that the servo shown via that link is the same as mine. The part number I keep coming up with is 518698. They're closed now, but will call them tomorrow!

Mike.

Yes know thats a stag gamble as much of the car is the same there are many subtle changes that make strait swaps require a bit of home work  the studs may be differing centres to take the split line m cyl.

My 2000   with 14"wheels has stag disc and calipers and rear hand brake expanders gives extra 1/2" leverage of the cable  

I did get my servo from  rimmers  but  5year ago ..much less then .

Search around give chris witor a call https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=514750SH  

Hi Pete.

Tried to call Chris Witor as the "Go-To" option several times this morning, no joy. Hence desperately looking at all other suppliers! Makes it harder with me not having the servo off the car to make direct comparisons. will give them a call, see what they think.

Mike.

Thanks for all of your help.

I spent a pleasant afternoon removing the servo, splitting the canister & replacing all of the bits. I was very surprised as to how easy removing the servo was, once the underdash shelf was removed, easy access to all the required bits. Shows good thought in design.

As suggested, once taken (carefully) apart, most of it was common sense. I found a small split in the diaphragm, hopefully that was the issue. The hardest part was twisting the 2 halves of the canister back together....it won't quite twist as far as it was originally, but I will damage the canister if I'm not carefull.

One worry. when taking apart, a pool of what looked like oil came out from the canister, quite a lot actually. I almost had a deep end & shallow end in the canister. Can't see any reason for this, it didn't look or smell like brake fluid, but reckon it must be? The pipe from the manifold to the servo is clean & dry inside. The only thing I can think of is that there has possibly been a problem with the master cylinder in the past, which has been resolved, but the fluid remained in the servo?

Any thoughts of anything else I should be looking at before I fire her up?

Pics attached.

Mike

bftaMbuwYlaSXynBr0GVFpakZ970rrDVeWyEDMM5EZHaAcUymr2vfaDE32ZS-wCZBeowo_JULFVeIjJMYepFq7MTWYgZdaDLDbHUYt5ViixpW8BnOMnGFJYZOSs1AFqdQsrup6qekm62RtsNboNqjDjkMLtpxu9Z_EDPU3zDg-T9eaFwM-Rp15zlUytVrvLUfURuCr32zurX8Z4.jpg

RF64RhTZzxtRSUqBJ34jx9vMgrvVZ5jyqNrOyhDy7Nx39GZybyBoiGfF5fuKXlS17imN8GwZbKhTG5QOmY0SILnqJU4jSRzNnUibxcDwJqTSBN0IrQ1YTuisUue9Qk_w65uDJXRfKD_jyWnha3yyb3fgLWvT0NIytmY76zzeHzK2m4FGjmPrPb1VcottQ6Zs3nPi6pTcwvXZnC7.jpg

vPtY7-V60WyFo0bUWGf9MxxRjivYNgr58zvgtinhdA4khvtmLHy5urbjqCyiVY9Mr-OsCDrW3bZyEi-TVLLypmhLsgxNFQ2kRUcN7hL6QaFruO1H4q3vERzrIlJha-jRIc2sgMBX3iZzHqYlh92vMzmSb5-1NDtWWLkN6ynkn6WzbRtpuKryi5aLxBDWZJ-aO2SjpL6WnM1hoRA.jpg

Failed front seal Brake fluid is supposed to leak from a nitch in the front face amd run down the outside of the can.

Thats a heavy residue and probably from fueling being drawn into the chamber over the years

Remember every servo operation the vacuum is developed from  the air/ fuel side of the manifold which ends up inside the canister

Pete

On 25/10/2019 at 19:19, Pete Lewis said:

Yes know thats a stag gamble as much of the car is the same there are many subtle changes that make strait swaps require a bit of home work  the studs may be differing centres to take the split line m cyl.

My 2000   with 14"wheels has stag disc and calipers and rear hand brake expanders gives extra 1/2" leverage of the cable  

I did get my servo from  rimmers  but  5year ago ..much less then .

Search around give chris witor a call https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=514750SH  

Pete:

Once you have 14 or 15" wheels, is the upgrade to Stag calipers/pads/discs a straight swap or do you have to mess with the caliper brackets?

M.

thats right  they fit the std mount, and  Colins  on the ball the stag discs are half the price of saloon ones 

i got calipers exchanged as a straight swop ,      new hoses  i remember

i did buy some 2000  rear drums but they had been machined in a lathe chuck and had serious 3 lobe thruppenny bit bake surface 

and had to be removed ,  cheapish   and nasty  

you definitiely cant do this stag upgrade  with 13" wheels  unless you want a lot of noise and sparks !!!

pete