Overdrive solenoid

petegardner_901

think you are right ,  warm is one thing frying eggs is sounding like a problem.

easy to unscrew its a 12 AF thin plate spanner, if you dont have one  dont be too tempted to use grips on the case it can destroy it , shears all the small roll pins and such.

and the coil body  detaches from the plunger housing

sealed with simple 0 rings  the spool valve piston is easy to remove by the 10mm circlip in the end  it should be very free to rattle about if you shake  it 

so remove clip shake it out and clean may help 

Pete

I cleaned up my J Type solenoid a few years ago. replaced the small O rings as they were hardened and circlip as that got mullered taking it out.

Also replaced O rings on pressure release valve and some others situated in the O/D sump area ,(can't remember exactly). there's an American TR6 web site (can't remenber name) that has this in detail.

sorted my chaotic overdrive out. 

got the bits from Overdrive Spares Rugby (Dave Twigger, who's very helpfull).

Don't know enough about the different sizing of O rings/circlips to assume I would get it right.

Dave 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has anyone seen oil leaking from the back of the J type OD solenoid ?  The OD works well, but I'm trying to fix all the flipping leaks, this is the latest.  I've already done the bolt which holds the reverse idler gear shaft in place (why this was never engineered to seal in the first place beggars belief as its below the level plug).

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

well there are only 0 rings inside to seal it 

on J type the solenoid just !!  unscrews  a thin 1"af spanner makes it easy, dont use grips on the body it can wreck the  small roll pins holding it together 

if its easy to unscrew then gentle work with grips is ok but not if its been done up very tight

you will get  a cup full of oil leak on removal, 

on the sol. are some 0 rings to change , inside the sol behind a 10 mm circlip is a spool valve , has 0 rings and should be a loose to rattle back and forth if youshake the sol.

all easy to replace as  DIY job,    i have to guess that if a 0 ring is failing then oil will find a way out  ive only come across stuck spools  , not had a leaker 

hope this helps 

Pete

pete

Hi All,

Thanks, I found this very useful article on the J type OD.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d0196503ad9b100013f63d7/1560385106119/J+Type+Overdrive+Part+II.pdf

Now all I've got to do is source 5 o rings all in Buna-N

2 off BS 014 

1 off BS 010

2 off BS 007

Anyone got any ideas where to get em from ?

cheers

apart from the usual suppliers  

try dave twigger at  http://www.odspares.com/      always helpful

and https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=J Type Spare Parts List

you need to be sure the small 0 rings for inside (INSIDE) the solenoid are available   most kits have the outer body sealing 0 rings not  the inner's 

some  just want to sell you a new solenoid   

Pete

having a box of assorted 100   0 rings i have had for some years only to find none ever fit classic aged parts 

all vey handy to have on the shelf  .....they never fit the sink taps,   strombergs, or J types   but work on hozelock fitting  ...one day !!!!!

you get   the right diamete wrong section or right section   wrong diameter   Grrrrrr !

Pete

Hi Colin, I think the you want is NKC 106, which is a BS210 in Buna-N 70 shore hardness.  I have just ordered mine from https://www.easternseals.co.uk

They sell in bulk but appear to know what they are doing.  Minimum order is £5 with £3 postage, means you get hundreds of the blighters but a £9.00 all in, for the five I need, knowing that they come from a proper seals place is good enough for me :)

BS210N70 BS210N70 NBR70 18.64 x 3.53mm BLACK
£0.0382

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

All 44 year old Solenoid seals now all replaced, tested and working fine.

If anyone would like a new set of the five seals required let me know and for a "stamped addressed envelope" plus a first class stamp, there yours. 

please see the old ones below 

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Edited by alan.gilbert_6384
clarity