Spot the Carb

PatK

Hi All, I have just bought an inlet manifold with twin Stromberg 150 carbs,  for my 2L Vitesse Mk2. The car has twin SU HS6's which I think are too large for this engine although it does run fine but Pete and others have said that Strombergs are best so I thought that I would try and fit a pair this winter. The seller said that these would fit a triumph 2000,  GT6 and Vitesse, however both the manifold and the carbs are different to the one that I have  which is in a very sorry state ( my carbs are OK but the manifold is damaged beyond economic repair )  From the photos below there seems to be only a choke on the front carb, and apart from the fuel line tubes there are another 2 tubes on each carb, I'm guessing that the larger tubes are for crankcase fumes as there is no port on top of the manifold to take fumes from the Smiths breather valve. The other 2 tubes are of quite a small diameter, but I've no idea what they are for, and what is the large black rubber hose with a plastic end with small holes in for?  Is this set up for a 2000 or late GT6 and could i fit it to my 2L Vitesse?

Any advice and help would be much appreciated, Thanks.  PatK

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

CDS 150  .  single choke starting valve on front  and tube to feed choke to rear carb.

adustment under float bowl 

good start  need to check the needles and piston weights 

if manifold from big saloon it wont work, wrong angles  etc as saloon engine is canted like 15 degrees.

pete

1 minute ago, Paulfc said:

Hi, 

Are there any other numbers other than the A951 anywhere on the carbs?

Paul

Hi Paul, I will look and let you know but there are no numbers on the front of the carbs, but there are some numbers stamped on the intake flanges. 

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

CDS 150  .  single choke starting valve on front  and tube to feed choke to rear carb.

adustment under float bowl 

good start  need to check the needles and piston weights 

pete

Thanks Pete, does this mean that they will be OK and the manifold is also OK? Are the 2 small tubes for connecting to the crankcase breather?

can see why youd want a servo on the Vitesse although Ive gone to a 3/4" master cylinder and original asbestos brake pads and now find the stopping pretty good. On your carbs I think the  larger connections might be for the rocker box vent and the little metal tag fixed on the top of the front carb should give some useful numbers....

Thanks Johny, thats useful info, I'm still wondering what car they came from. The manifold does have a Stanpart number on it and There is a small brass tag on the front carb, but I can't see any number on it, but I will have a good look tomorrow, when I go out to the garage again.

its a saloon manifold  ,  you will find this tilts the carbs away from vertical  so  no  i dont think it will work , makes them so high they foul the bonnet 

the plastic stubs are to take  a sealed breathing hoses off a tee piece   from the rocker cover  the cap s sealed  not vented    you could plug or re use 

has your orig manifold been modified to take the HS6   or it was from another triumf.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

its a saloon manifold  ,  you will find this tilts the carbs away from vertical  so  no  i dont think it will work , makes them so high they foul the bonnet 

the plastic stubs are to take  a sealed breathing hoses off a tee piece   from the rocker cover  the cap s sealed  not vented    you could plug or re use 

has your orig manifold been modified to take the HS6   or it was from another triumf.

Pete

Thanks Pete, my original manifold has been modified to take the HS6s, so I guess that my best bet is to put these carbs plus manifold back on e bay  and look for a Vitesse 2L manifold, unless someone in the club has a spare one for sale.

Pat

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

There are 4 screws holding the top of each carb on, under one I spy a little brassy tab which will have numbers on it identifying the carbs.

Doug

Thanks Doug, you must have a good little eye! Yes there was a number under the brass tag, it was pretty mucky but it is as follows, 301,    3693L or 3633L Whats that mean then Doug, triumph 2000? Thanks Doug

Pat

Yes Pete, this guy luckily removed the Banjo bolt before he sent the Manifold and also included a serviceable 2nd hand bolt. I also notice from this manifold Pete that the top of it where the Vitesse temperature sender would screw in is blanked off with a plug, so i could not fit the sender there. So back onto e bay it goes!   Thanks Pete

Pat

http://www.carbex.demon.co.uk/page13.html

dont see them 

needles may help  CDS 5AW      CD3  B5BG/B5CB/B5DG 

burlen

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=3693l

and  3633L   http://zenithcarb.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=3633l

OFF A 2000

there is not much change between CDS and CD3  easy to say they are the same in broad terms 

55 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pat,  the temp sender is or should be fitted in a port in the thremostat housing ,  this  has two outlets one to heat the manifolds one oposite for sender 

never seen one in the manifold ???   

Pete

Theres a first time for everything Pete, check this out. Unfortunately we completely wrecked the threads in this manifold getting the banjo bolt out.

IMG_1172.jpg