Leaking Choke

Iain T

There not a tight fit. The shaft wears more than rocker bores.  On Vitesse, my shaft was worn (more so at the front), so the oil scrolls/grooves no longer existed. No noise and didn't affect valve clearance, though oil not lubing the rocker bores/valve tips and maybe the cam, if not running down the push rod holes. You should be able to see oil running in this area when idling, though if not could also be blockage in shaft/rocker oil holes.

I just changed the shaft as, cheap (though maybe crap), as also the re manufactured rockers could well be crap.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

Just taken a look and the rocker wear seems less than I thought, I'm trying to refurbish what I have as replacement parts can be made of old tin cans and soft.

Good news is I lapped in the choke disc to the body and the leak seems to be better. When I examined both parts mated together I noticed a very slight rock in the disc so I did my best to get them as snug as a bug with full body contact! Down side is I dropped the return spring which tinkled down the exhaust tubes/chassis bits and hasn't seen the light of day! I was hoping for it to fall into my engine oil catch tray but nah, no matter how much I looked and poked about I couldn't find it. I'll try again when I have more light.

Double good news is the engine fired up on the second pull which if you go back many posts was the reason I started friggin' about with the choke!

Going to wait until next week when the Wellseal arrives before I take it apart again.

Have a good weekend everyone

Cheers

I was going to see if sealing the dished disc to the flat disc and the outer body to the adjacent part (there is no gasket there) had any effect. Just clutching at straws but really pissed off about loosing the return spring, it's down there somewhere! As I said the leak doesn't seem to be as bad as before, perhaps as everything now works (crossing fingers) with much much less cranking it is actually sucking in the fuel?

Iain

Managed to persuade my wife to have a rummage around my bottom end, can't find the bugger of a spring. I'm going to take the side shield off as I am sure it's down by the suspension plus time to buy a flexible magnet/clamp and I managed, albeit in cropped form, to upload a photo of my car it's been a busy day!

Iain

Pete,

Found the little bugger somehow it had bounced down the exhaust leapt over to the middle of the car and lodged itself between the back of the front crossmember and the oil pan! I know it's a spring but where did it get all the energy from?

Wayne,

Engine started second pull, as opposed to 10, so it is obviously very important to not only ensure all the graduated holes are clear in the disc but to play around with the fast idle screw (that's the one that the choke lever pushes on to rotate the throttle spindle) to get enough enrichment. The assembly still leaks fuel but I will sort that.

Iain

Well it certainly isn't Brian the Snail!

When I was at upper school we used to sneak out at 'free period times' to my friends house and watch The Saint (I nearly bought a 1800S instead of a Vitesse) then bunk back in. Bring back the Magic Roundabout, Fireball XL5 and Captain Pugwash I'm sure kids would love them.

Out of interest I will phone Burlen to see if their choke is correct for a CDS and how much it is. I'll report back.

Iain

Carefully assembled choke with wellseal on joints but still leaks!

I phoned Burlen and the part Pete suggested is a complete assembly but the choke disc only has one set of graduated holes. After rummaging around he did find a new twin carb disc (2 sets of holes) but just as I was about to order their phones went down!?!?

I'll try Gower and Lee Monday and see what they suggest to fix the leak. My shares have benefited from the Bo Jo Bounce so I'm feeling flush, where is that Jenvey Heritage catalogue.....

Iain

I made the guy get the part out of their stockroom to check and I said the same as you. It was a difficult conversation as even the 150 CDS drawing on their website is not correct and doesn't show the middle body part hence I am going to phone G&L Monday. I really did loose confidence in what I was being offered.

I'll report back.

The Dribbler