Vinyl Sprays

Tanky

I used Vinylkote back in the day to brush paint my headlining and it was very good. Theyre still around and do aerosols and I saw car trim being successfully recoloured on CarSOS recently (although cant remember which product they used) but it did need quite a few coats....

I used VHT vinyl dye to change a Herald rear seat base from blue to black.  It worked well and has proved very durable over 6 years.  The rear seat does get used!

Is the dash top vinyl or some form of plastic?  You might have to use some form of primer with a flexible paint on top.  I've not done that. 

4 minutes ago, AMcP said:

Is the dash top vinyl or some form of plastic?  You might have to use some form of primer with a flexible paint on top.  I've not done that. 

I believe the original dash top was a moulded plastic of some sort. They can be re-covered using vinyl, although it's tricky. There are plastic versions available for Spitfires (the OP doesn't say what car this is) which may or may not be visibly "plasticky" compared to the original.

12 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I believe the original dash top was a moulded plastic of some sort. They can be re-covered using vinyl, although it's tricky. There are plastic versions available for Spitfires (the OP doesn't say what car this is) which may or may not be visibly "plasticky" compared to the original.

I had mine recovered by an upholsterer for £50; original-looking material and factory stitching.

You can buy covers online for about £100 to rejuvenate an old dash, but as far as I know they're all black, with coloured stitching in your preferred option.

Hi Charlie,

A popular option on the Alfa Spider forum is to use bed liner.

I can’t vouch for the finish because I haven’t tried it myself.  It’s flexible and durable and you can fill any cracks prior to spraying.

I guess it really comes down to the condition of the dash you’re starting with. 

Andy S.

Many years ago I re-coloured a pair of Vitesse tan vinyl seats to red to fit and match to my Herald. I used Vinylkote sprayed with a Humbrol model kit spray gun. I was very dubious at first, but the finish was excellent, as was the colur match. It seems to soak right into the grain of the vinyl and doesn't flake or crack, providing you do the prep properly to start with.

15 hours ago, Tanky said:

Thanks Andy, do you know what kind of bed liner? There's nothing wrong with my dash. I just want to change the colour from black as I've bought 'biscuit' interior.....

If there are no cracks or splits, then no need to go down this route.

Alfa dash tops crack and these need to be filled with flexible filler or foam. You then need something tough to cover it that has a textured finish. 

Cans are usually in black, but when I spoke to my friendly sprayer he said it can be order in other colours.

Andy S.