Alternative to spire clips for GT6 rear lights?

Colin Lindsay

On 12/02/2020 at 17:22, clive said:

I assume you can access the back of the fittings? If so "speednuts" are a possibility, sort of a cut down spire clip. 

Flat-Type Washers - Regular

Otherwise nut/bolts/washers?

Morning Clive - I've run out of these guys for other little jobs in some of the cars, but cannot find anyone selling them either in quantity or at a proper price - I need about 20. I'll be out and about later on and will hopefully track down a blister pack somewhere about, but in the meantime - what's the proper name? Spire clips, speed nuts, flat spring nuts... any search throws up hundreds of the u-clip versions that I've got lots of, including the plastic ones which have turned out to be very useful. It's the ones in the photo I want.

I managed to find a seller on Amazon who will sell twelve... for £37.74... and has apparently got an offer on them. 

BTW Tony - I got the magnetic sheet so it will be bonded to the number plate using windscreen bond, and will probably never come off after that.

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

BTW Tony - I got the magnetic sheet so it will be bonded to the number plate using windscreen bond, and will probably never come off after that.

Thats great Colin, make sure you wipe the magnet side if you drop it, they tend to pick up tiny bits of metal if dropped on a garage floor.

Tony.

1 hour ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Thanks Dick, it does! I always hate going into shops and asking 'do you have any of those little rectangular thingies that a screw goes through..."

Tony - thanks for the advice, It's not out of the wrapper yet but I'm sure my desk is covered in filings so it's a timely heads-up.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Morning Clive - I've run out of these guys for other little jobs in some of the cars, but cannot find anyone selling them either in quantity or at a proper price - I need about 20. I'll be out and about later on and will hopefully track down a blister pack somewhere about, but in the meantime - what's the proper name? Spire clips, speed nuts, flat spring nuts... any search throws up hundreds of the u-clip versions that I've got lots of, including the plastic ones which have turned out to be very useful. It's the ones in the photo I want.

I managed to find a seller on Amazon who will sell twelve... for £37.74... and has apparently got an offer on them. 

I got a stack at a show years ago. Should be pennies...

But I see the issue, some are sold as "Harley Emblem speednuts" which may explain the odd price from some sellers? Bresco have them, but still a bit steep on costs... They call them "flat nuts"

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Spire_Nuts-_expansion___flat__cal-p1.html

The other "solution" is to use the entire spire clip/nut behind the panel rather then clipping it on. Or buy the plastic ones and cut the clip part off? 

Wish I could help further....

EDIT Beals sell 100 u type speednuts for about £4+vat. Spend £50 or so and free postage, they sell loads of useful stuff, including imperial nuts and setscrews, washers etc. All sorts of clips, decent washer pumps, indicator relays (the electronic ones on my Toledo are 12 years old, never given any bother, used about 20-30 of them over the years, not one issue) https://www.beal.org.uk/hardware-fasteners/speed-fasteners.html

Flat nuts... isn't that what cyclists suffer from?

I could use full-sized spire clips (of which I have plenty already!) but have some applications where I think these will look neater; no matter that they're all hidden from view. It just appeals to my sense of 'looking right'. I suspect that if I trawl my garage I'll find enough of them, but I'll still keep an eye out for spares.

Now I have to put the kettle on and browse Beals, as well as Bresco... :)

Just to update: Bresco came up trumps, one pack of 30 flat nuts delivered safely; however, another of 'those' companies who by the time they add postage and packing and THEN add VAT on top the price rose from £7.49 to £13.73. Still, it means I can move on with another little job complete.

16 hours ago, Graham C said:

Colin

You could have got in contact with me, this company is just a mile from where I work I could have got them and then in the post.

May have been cheaper.

Graham

Thanks Graham, it would definitely have been! However job done and 18 left over for the future.