Which car and model?

Roger

Hi All,

I have found a few Triumph engines that are for sale, but one of them (with six cylinders) has an engine number that doesn’t make sense to me: MH44HE. Does anyone here know which car and model it came from? Can’t find any MH numbers in the usual lists of Triumph engine numbers. I will get pictures during the weekend. All I know for now is that it looks almost the same as a 2-litre MkI engine but engine mounts looks different. Thanks in advance.

Roger

3 hours ago, Adrian said:

According to the Triumph 2000 register MH refers to those engines destined for Sweden.

That make sense, these engines are located in Sweden! 🙂 Thanks Adrian. I searched on the 2000 register homepage for a list of engine numbers but could not find it. Could you please provide a link @Adrian? Also, is it a 2-litre or 2,5? MkI or Mk II?

Regards
Roger

Edited by Roger
Typo corrected

If it looks like a Mk1 (pushrod tubes by the spark plugs) then it will be 2L. That head was never used on the 2.5. Saloons have the engine mounts on the engine front plate but the cast bosses for the Vitesse mounts with tapped bolt holes should still be there.  Very early versions of the 2L were made without those bosses but used Standards rather than Triumphs IIRC.

Another thing to look for is whether there is a breather pipe on the side of the block by the oil filter. This indicates early small bearing engines.

Nick

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Another thing to look for is whether there is a breather pipe on the side of the block by the oil filter. This indicates early small bearing engines.

The breather pipe may be missing - replaced by a bolt-on plate - on some small bearing engines. Large bearing blocks don't have the fitting location cast in.

Other outward signs of a small bearing engine are the fuel pump being in a different place (I forget which one is higher) and the single bolt through the timing cover into the alumnium filler piece.

11 hours ago, thescrapman said:

You did get the "bossless" Mk1 blocks in very early 2000 saloons

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Could someone clarify a bit what "bossless" means? The low number "44" indicates that this engine might indeed be from an early saloon I guess. Still waiting impatiently for pictures from the seller... The engines for sale are unfortunately in poor condition, seized etc but I might be able to save some parts from them, or use the block / crankshaft

1 hour ago, Roger said:

Could someone clarify a bit what "bossless" means?

It took me a moment to figure that out, too. He's referring to:

19 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Saloons have the engine mounts on the engine front plate but the cast bosses for the Vitesse mounts with tapped bolt holes should still be there.  Very early versions of the 2L were made without those bosses but used Standards rather than Triumphs IIRC.

The engine was first used in the Standard Vanguard Six, in which the engine mounts were on the front plate, like in a 2000 saloon. It was later squeezed into a Herald chassis, for the Vitesse, where those mountings are too far forward. The castings were modified to add big lumps where the Vitesse engine mounts attach, which didn't get in the way on any of the big saloons. Indeed, the RH one is used to mount the PAS pump on cars so equipped. Nick thinks this happened before the 2000 was launched, Scrapman thinks it was slightly after.

• Thanks 1