Where is this from?.

It's a gearbox bracket, which bolts onto the bottom rear of the gearbox case and then takes a stabilising rod which connects to a small bracket on the chassis. It's supposed to prevent flex of the gearbox when accelerating or decelerating thereby straining mountings or other parts.

You can just see the bracket to the rear underside of this gearbox, and I've photographed another assembly that I'll have to refurbish before use. They're not necessary, but as I had one fitted I'll replace just for the sake of it. The rubbers look to be roughly the same as front shock absorber top rubbers.

DB2D34D8-5E4C-4037-B45C-A22109553845_1_105_c.jpg.958d85e67f93337f6906be38f8613eca.jpg 8BA94714-B439-4C74-A7D2-B715FADCF620_1_105_c.jpg.dd96b8a5db1b40bac6e59a2688632ce2.jpg

Thanks, Where does the rod connect then?. The photo in the Haynes manual is quite indistinct?. I can only assume that the bracket at the other end of the rod must bolt to the chassis?. But I cannot see where?.

It connects to the rear gearbox mounting; the plate that bolts from main rail to main rail should have a hole in it or a tab on it - some do and some don't, which I suspect depends on whether or not the car had a stay, or not. This isn't a great photo but shows the assembly from underneath on a very oily mount in a 948 - a different fitting to later cars-  but some of my 1200s have a tab off the more familiar four-bolt mounting plate to which the stay bolts.

DSCF2048.jpg.fbf403f84da04d0a795b36a3d9ccda6e.jpg DSCF1801.jpg.ddd4e2443ebb30f89686695555745e66.jpg

2CE0F727-49C1-48C8-B9EB-70B976039556_1_105_c.jpg.e435f053a3c91f5f89bc2688843c722f.jpg

think this was only used on early like 948/1200 up to 1962   with flat rubber engine mounts later this was deleted with the vee dovetail type mount as these arrest any engine shift

also common on cars when clutch linkages were part body/chassis part transmission mounted  like moggie minors and many others  or things would move when declutching 

you dont need it on a   13/60  one wonders why or how it became part of the car ???

Pete

• Like 2

Strange? As mine is 1970 build. No record of the gear box being changed as far as I am aware. And no sign in the "kit of parts" that came with it of the rest of the bits either.?. The prop shaft. Has a set of flexible plates at the gearbox drive end.

Reckon I might just not fit it on rebuild.

Pete

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

if you look at the parts lists the tie rod disappears when the timing cover  plate flat engine mounts were replaced with the block mounted self restraining mounts used there on on later1200/1300/1600/2 ltr cars 

pete

Yes. So I now have an intriguing conundrum?. Has my Gearbox been replaced with one from an Earlier Car?. The gear box number is CB226963?. Any clue as to if it indicates manufacture?. I had assumed it was the original, as there are no indications in the 2-1/2 inch thick bundle of paper that came with it?. I suppose the other possibility is that the previous owner, who has now De-camped to Portugal to live, Might have had a "collection" of bits and this amongst them?. Still not really an "issue" as such, just intriguing as to how/why?.

Pete

The CB prefix certainly doesn't match your car but I suspect you may be mis-reading a GB, which would. Unfortunately, it matches all Heralds including the very early ones with the tie rod. However, that high a number would suggest a later one, probably appropriate to your car's age.