Spitfire Mk3 Oil Pump Pickup

Nigel Clark

I've just removed the sump on my Spit Mk3 to fit a new gasket and been surprised to see there's no wire mesh strainer on the oil pump pickup pipe. It's an early Mk3 from 1967.

Should it have a strainer on the oil pump? I'm more familiar with the internals of Triumph sixes and those always have a strainer. I've seen an early Herald 1200 engine without a strainer but that had a mesh screen inside the sump to catch coarse debris. Rimmers online catalogue shows a Spitfire Mk1/2/3 oil pump with a strainer:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GLP145

Does it matter that there's no strainer? Seems to me any sizeable debris will go straight into the pump and cause wear that would have been avoided with a mesh strainer.

Nigel

DSCN0396.JPG

22 minutes ago, johny said:

My original pump on a MK1 Vit had no strainer only a grill across the top of the sump to stop any large debris falling in. I wonder if a strainer could get blocked with gunk and cause oil starvation....

Thank you, I've always found strainers inside 2 litre Mk2 and 2.5 litre sixes. If there's enough debris to totally block the strainer, I would imagine the engine is already in serious trouble!

Nigel

C/O Canley the mk3 parts list shows  a  no strainer straight entry  pump like your's  Nigel,

not available but shows 217058 now used across the range 

rimmers show a straight entry filtered pump GLP145  used across all but late 1500 4cyls 

so i guess the debris trap was an evolution 

pete

18 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Thank you, I've always found strainers inside 2 litre Mk2 and 2.5 litre sixes. If there's enough debris to totally block the strainer, I would imagine the engine is already in serious trouble!

Nigel

It's not really totally blocking that could happen but restriction of flow so at high revs there less oil for adequate cooling of bearings. Anyway I'm talking about prolonged lack of oil changes so there's a large amount of residue which is unlikely to happen these days....

It's low revs pressure that seems more problematic and my pump has too much axial clearance which can be rectified by laboriously (unless yours is alloy) grinding down the body on a sheet of glass. Of course main and big end bearing clearances can also be a big drain on oil pressure....

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the spec for all our small chassis cars is 40 to 60psi at 2000 rpm  there is no spec for idle or hot or cold 

all you have for a minimum is the low pressure switch setting of around 6  to 8 psi.

so  50 at 2000 is spot on .

Pete

Yes, that's why I'm not really worried about the oil pump. Or the crank. I had a look at the big ends and there's no need to replace the shells.

I only started this because the sump was leaking. Bit of a can of worms really... New oil pump? Crank grind? Full restoration looms. I don't think so, I'm only fixing an oil leak!

Nigel

Probably sucking eggs here but check the sump seal face and flatten down any raised areas around the bolt holes from previous over tightening. I would also suggest new spring washers unless yours are in very good condition as the correct bolt torque is low so they can loosen....

Hi Johny,

Yes, thank you. I've run a straight-edge over the sump face and tapped down a few previously over-tightened bolt holes. The face of the block has been scraped clean and it's all ready to go back with a new gasket tomorrow. And the oil pump has been torqued back at 8 lb ft each bolt with new split washers. Currently the oil pump is full of engine reassembly lube, hope it doesn't drip out before the oil goes back in the sump tomorrow. The spark plugs are out and I'll give it a good spin on the starter motor before reconnecting the coil and refitting the plugs.

After that, I'm scratching my head to think of an essential reason to take the Spitfire out. We probably need a box of eggs and and some milk... and beer of course! Why go out in the modern when the Spit needs a test run?

Nigel

38 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Sorry, I'm being a bit obtuse here, what earlier comment is relevant?

19 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

One about breaking down I think.

Indeed. My Spitfire "needed a test run" but I went in the modern because the test run lasted ten yards before failing.