Body to chassis mounting pads

Colin Lindsay

Who is the best source for these nowadays? I know the original canvas-reinforced versions are unavailable but I don't want to use the current squishy-rubber versions either. 

I've got a full set of poly ones but am keeping those for another car. Does anyone know of good solid reliable ones that won't deform when tightened and thereby allow all sorts of creaks and groans?

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

i used thick truck rubber canvass mud flaps   quick bash with a hole saw and cheap as chips and quite firm   you can make a lot from one flap

just dont sneak out at night to filch one  try a factors 

Pete

Don't have to, they drop off regularly. How thick is thick?

I bought a huge sheet of this stuff a few years back to make pads for the lift, canvas reinforced rubber that was sold for HGVs, and I have plenty of it left but it's 15mm thick and I don't want a Herald that's head and shoulders above everyone else's...

DSCF8350.jpg.7bc5a8c93063b44d6d066c013573f3c6.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the difference between 10mm and 15mm is hardly going to be head and shoulders   

What are you chippie skills like Colin, could 5mm etc not be trimmed off with a hand saw?, course sandpaper on a flat surface for any wedge shaped ones?.  Bit of a faf, but sort of thing I'd try.

Edited by daverclasper

8 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

What are you chippie skills like Colin, could 5mm etc not be trimmed off with a hand saw?, course sandpaper on a flat surface for any wedge shaped ones?.  Bit of a faf, but sort of thing I'd try.

I think I'd rather sand it off than cut it off, but that would make a real mess, by the time I'd got through 5 - 7mm... the ones I was intending to use are 8mm, but I can only find seven at present. I suspect the others have gone as lower diff mountings... I'll try cutting one or two out with a hole saw and see what happens.

I had a quick search on eBay and Chic Doig is selling them for 99p each; looks like the proper canvas reinforced ones too. I might just invest in half a dozen then see if thicker ones are required anywhere, which I can cut from the sheet I have and save fitting metal shims.

s-l225.jpg.784070196cd8c3eb8643cbb66259c5cf.jpg