Abrasive metal polish

Acole

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good abrasive metal polish? I has some scratching in some aluminium on my car which I want to remove and it would appear both Mothers polish and 0000 fine steel wool don’t do anything (the steel wool actually seems to cause scratches). 

Thanks, Andy. 

Hello Andy.

You are using the correct aluminium polish BUT you should not be using an abrasive to apply it - a cloth is the correct material.

It is very difficult to remove scratches from metal without some kind of metal substitute, no polish that I know of will replace scratched / missing metal.

I think the best you will be able to achieve is an excellent sheen on the polish, but with regret I believe the scratches will remain.

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Must be the same material as the Herald rubber bumper end caps. When they scratch, it's there for life.

I doubt it. The end caps seem to be made out the same stuff as chip shop pie cases. Soft as a soft thing. (my experiences anyway. Bumpers are really hard)

12 hours ago, clive said:

I doubt it. The end caps seem to be made out the same stuff as chip shop pie cases. Soft as a soft thing. (my experiences anyway. Bumpers are really hard)

I've a lot that I bought back in the 1990s from shows etc, salted away for my Heralds when they get to that stage and they're pretty hefty. They don't bend much and they're quite difficult to fit over the ends of the bumpers. The originals are more like thin aluminium, soft and light, but these are quite hard to bend without damaging them. I've no experience of the current versions; does anyone know what quality they are these days?

Hi

Do the "rubbers" actually fit over the Alloys?. I must admit I`s never looked into it. Both this Herald and the previous Vittesse, just had (the) polished alloy on which I reverted to using the old school "Solvol Autosol". From my "Ride`m/Race`em/Polish`em, Motorcycle days.

Pete

Never tried fitting rubbers over alloys, but then the rubbers themselves can be quite difficult to fit especially round the corners; they take a while to mould to the correct shape.

The alloy end caps I mentioned earlier are also quite difficult to fit; not surprising when you see the 'newer' ones (bought in the late 1990s) with the originals... even allowing for slight distortion of the old battered one I can fit the new hard-metal version inside it.

DSCF8465.jpg.b5929179c4ab98c3fc7358714455cb11.jpg  DSCF8463.jpg.021be4387c47e0f7f6e33e34242c57f6.jpg