A tip on a clip?

SixasStandard

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i always tied a long bit of cotton on each clip  you an retrieve the little sods when they fly off

six pair of hands one pull clip up one to hold seal down another to hold a timber punch  and one more with the mallet 

then its pull up   press  down   hold still   whack  the seal down  all at the same time 

Pete

Blimey Pete.......you're not exactly filling me with confidence!!

Ian

If - - if - you can attach the clip to your fingertip then you're halfway there. I have tried it with a small circular magnet sellotaped to the very end of my fingertip... balance the clip on it, reach up inside the door and hook it on. The short ones with the flat bottom are easier. I've also tried it between two fingertips but it's a real balancing job. You just need a grip that will stay in place when you let go. After that a short length, six inches or so, of a wooden drift will put it in place properly. If you've short fingers, you've no chance. :)

I know the tool for pulling them up works, but even a length of wood like the handle of a hammer with a groove cut into it, so that the clip is held upright, means you can push up, rather than pull up, which can often mark the paintwork.

For the quarterlight, I just unbolt it,  push the outer strip down onto the gap, then rebolt the quarterlight which holds the rubber in place as well. 

Just have plenty of patience and be prepared to fish them out of the door bottom. Repeatedly. It gets messy if you've previously used Waxoyl, too.

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

You could always just stick it on with Tiger seal....... :) 

Tony.

Yeah right!!.......that's what some upstanding citizen had done after the car was painted back in 2016. I actually found a brand new clip in the door bottom when I went 'magnet fishing', so I'd hazard a guess that the previous owner had supplied the paint shop with the correct new clips for the seals, but the lazy buggers obviously gave up after failing with the first clip and then just glued the seals on and binned the clips. I take a dim view of such antics!!

Ian 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

I was joking Ian honest, you would never get the buggers off again ever with tiger seal. They really are a pain in the backside. I can't think of a more horrible job than those.

Tony. 

If we're talking horrible jobs in general......then my all time favourite would have to be my experience of cleaning out the internals of an ancient shaping machine when I was doing my apprenticeship back in 1976. One of the training instructors thought I'd been a 'bit lippy', so I was given a bucket and a small scraper and told to clean the interior of the old Invicta metal shaping machine in the corner of the workshop. I have never experienced such foul glutenous deposits as those I found in that old machine, nor do I ever want to again!! By the time I'd finished I had a filthy black slime all up my arms practically to the shoulder (I wasn't allowed to dirty my overalls) that took days to scrub off. H&S rules were rather more 'flexible' back in those days. Needless to say I was rather less 'lippy' for the remainder of my apprenticeship!! Fitting some weather seals will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Ian  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SixasStandard said:

If we're talking horrible jobs in general...

At my last house the pipe into the septic tank was blocked - twice - and by the time it was spotted we had a pool of raw sewage spreading out from under the trees. I had to walk through it, amongst conifers that were very tightly interwoven, find the concrete slabs over the tank, lift them (massive things over six feet across) without dropping them down into the tank, find the blockage and clear it. It were right grim! It happened once more about six months later then I found it was someone flushing floor wipes down the loo. That soon stopped when I told them they would clear the next blockage themselves.