A tip on a clip?

SixasStandard

Yes, all the same.

You can either push them on from below, with fingertips and be prepared with a magnet to fish them out of the door bottom, again and again... or else pull them up with a tool made for the job. I find you just need to get them hanging in place, then you can thump them in with a length of wood and a hammer.

i suggest 12" of cotton attached ,so its easy to retrieve the flying little blighters 

if your replacement seals are all plastic and not like the OE metal strips you may need to open the clips up a little 

i also suggest 6 pairs of hands ,fit clip to tool and pull upwards , lump of timber and mallet to whack the seal down as you pull the clip up all at the same time 

pete

Pete

Thanks for the quick response Chaps,

I've already made a tool, but the cotton is a great idea.......I can just imagine how many would have ended up in the door bottom otherwise!

While we're on the subject of door bottoms........should the Vitesse have drain holes in them?

Regards,

Ian

Hello Chaps,

A follow up on this thread.......my weather seal clips turned up from ANG in Nottingham this morning. I went to fit them, but unfortunately although they are the correct ones that I ordered, they are the wrong size, so back to square one. There were no original clips fitted on my car, as some thoughtful individual had siliconed the seals on, hence my question to the Forum about the suitability of clips being offered by ANG for the Spitfire/GT6 models. Anyway, to establish the correct size I decided to have a bit of a search inside the doors to see if I could find any 'lost' originals. I took the cappings, handles and trim panel off the door, then removed what was left of the tissue thin moisture barrier sheet to get access to the door internals. I taped a small magnet to the end of a screwdriver and had a prod about, and hey presto! I found no less than 3 of the original clips in the door bottom caked in gunge. A quick clean up, and as you can see from the picture the original clips are much smaller than the one I posted a picture of earlier in the thread.........ergo.......there are different sizes for different models. I'm sure that the larger clip is right for the Spitfire and GT6, but not for the Vitesse/Herald.

I just wanted to highlight this difference so that others don't make a similar mistake, particularly when you don't have any original clips to inform your choice. I'll see if ANG are prepared to take them back, and if they have any of the right size.

Regards,

Ian  

Little and Large Clips.JPG

34 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Hello Chaps,

A follow up on this thread.......my weather seal clips turned up from ANG in Nottingham this morning. I went to fit them, but unfortunately although they are the correct ones that I ordered, they are the wrong size, so back to square one. There were no original clips fitted on my car, as some thoughtful individual had siliconed the seals on, hence my question to the Forum about the suitability of clips being offered by ANG for the Spitfire/GT6 models. Anyway, to establish the correct size I decided to have a bit of a search inside the doors to see if I could find any 'lost' originals. I took the cappings, handles and trim panel off the door, then removed what was left of the tissue thin moisture barrier sheet to get access to the door internals. I taped a small magnet to the end of a screwdriver and had a prod about, and hey presto! I found no less than 3 of the original clips in the door bottom caked in gunge. A quick clean up, and as you can see from the picture the original clips are much smaller than the one I posted a picture of earlier in the thread.........ergo.......there are different sizes for different models. I'm sure that the larger clip is right for the Spitfire and GT6, but not for the Vitesse/Herald.

I just wanted to highlight this difference so that others don't make a similar mistake, particularly when you don't have any original clips to inform your choice. I'll see if ANG are prepared to take them back, and if they have any of the right size.

Regards,

Ian  

Little and Large Clips.JPG

Hi Ian, if you are stuck they will do the same job, it's only the "spikes" that grip. I know what you mean though wanting the correct one's.

Tony.

4 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Hi Ian, if you are stuck they will do the same job, it's only the "spikes" that grip. I know what you mean though wanting the correct one's.

Tony.

Hello Tony,

The return on the window opening of the door skin is obviously a lot shorter on the Herald/Vitesse than it is on the Spitfire/GT6, so the clip sits proud of the opening with the clip not even fully engaged. Using the wrong clips would stop the weather seal from sitting correctly, so I'm now on the hunt for the correct type. They are out there somewhere!!

Regards,

Ian 

from my olde parts list vitesse/herald

outer 609742

inner 608604

most show not available 

rimmers show superceeded https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-613869

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-613869

anyone noticed the Canley site has a new look    not mastered the navigation to get around it , must say i prefered the old version as a user , 

Pete

These clips from Woolies look like they may work, and at 1.60 per pack of 10 are a lot cheaper than the ones I bought from ANG.........

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1481/spring-clip

The 13mm x 9mm size quoted is exactly the same as the OE Triumph ones that I fished out of the door bottom. They don't have a lower barb as per the original, but for use with a weather seal I don't see the need for that lower barb anyway.

Ian  

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

from my olde parts list vitesse/herald

outer 609742

inner 608604

most show not available 

rimmers show superceeded https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-613869

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-613869

anyone noticed the Canley site has a new look    not mastered the navigation to get around it , must say i prefered the old version as a user , 

Pete

Thanks Pete,

That seems to clear it up. The Rimmer part # 613869 is obviously the correct currently available part for the Vitesse/Herald outer weather seal, so that's the one I'll go for. The Woolies ones would probably work ok, and are a lot cheaper, but I'm not sure about  their corrosion resistance, whereas the Rimmer clip looks to be plated.  

Thanks for you help.

Ian

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153802521170?chn=ps

I use these little guys for the inside; the trim strip sits in the small clip while the larger part clips to the door itself.

I've got a few on both the Herald and the GT6 already and you can see how they differ from the outer versions.

DSCF8523.jpg.a1a1bfacfc999f9e5af03b236adf09db.jpg

However a quick search shows the original outers are still available, so as usual it seems it's down to suppliers selling an alternative item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR250-TR6-OUTER-DOOR-WAIST-SEAL-CLIP-SET-KIT-14-CLIPS-/191279407575

clips.jpg.3a88d67d78b4971fd6b98323df5cd524.jpg

They're also used on Minis and MGB, in fact a lot of cars of the period used the same clips - the seller below is UK based. 

https://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9611215

Hope that helps!

if you have the longer ones just don't pull them full up so long as the spikes engage they will still work even if the clip is not tight up against the edge of the lip. There are also issues with pattern door skins. I know my spit needs long clips as the lip they attach to is longer than original

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153802521170?chn=ps

I use these little guys for the inside; the trim strip sits in the small clip while the larger part clips to the door itself.

I've got a few on both the Herald and the GT6 already and you can see how they differ from the outer versions.

DSCF8523.jpg.a1a1bfacfc999f9e5af03b236adf09db.jpg

However a quick search shows the originals are still available, so as usual it seems it's down to suppliers selling an alternative item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4-TR250-TR6-OUTER-DOOR-WAIST-SEAL-CLIP-SET-KIT-14-CLIPS-/191279407575

clips.jpg.3a88d67d78b4971fd6b98323df5cd524.jpg

They're also used on Minis and MGB, in fact a lot of cars of the period used the same clips - the seller below is UK based. 

https://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9611215

Hope that helps!

Hello Colin,

The clips from Ratsport are the same larger type that I've already got from ANG. The ones from the US supplier look to be right. 

Ian

13 minutes ago, DanMi said:

if you have the longer ones just don't pull them full up so long as the spikes engage they will still work even if the clip is not tight up against the edge of the lip. There are also issues with pattern door skins. I know my spit needs long clips as the lip they attach to is longer than original

My outer weather seals are the type with the metal strengthener inside, and will need quite a bit of 'encouragement' to go into the spring clips, so having the wrong size clip is just going to make that process all the more difficult. I need the correct size clip so that it sits up firm against the door skin return whilst I'm forcing the weather seal in.

Ian

Ian, are you thinking of pushing the clips onto the doorskin return, and then the seal down into the clip? That isn't how it works, probably just push the clips off.

You need a clip tool. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372570825647  

I make mine from a strip, about twice as wide as the clips. Fold one end over but it needs just enough gap for a clip to sit in it snugly. I use a small spanner as a spacer, but almost anything will do. Other end I fold over at 90 degrees so I have something to hold, and wrap in gaffer tape. A bit of blutak or similar sticky stuff to stop the clips falling out.

Strip and door lined up, pull clip up onto both at the same time. Takes a bit of a knack. And some clips are too tight (maybe spitfire, years since I have done a herald/vitesse.)

Other thing, the original strips were shaped to clear the 1/4 light. Some people put a slit so the rubber can sit higher against the 1/4 light, I cut a thin strip off so it was tidier. Many don't do anything about it.

2 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

from Woolies

As much as I like the range Woolies provide, I do get miffed about the their p&p charges. In fairness it's not just them, but a good example as they have been mentioned.

I needed 10x raised No.6 cup washers recently and they {Woolies} sell them for 90p which is great................... postage £3.90 !! Really ?? I can send a 2kg parcel via 2nd class RM for less.

eBay 20x of the above in stainless......................£1.30 with free p&p and that is from Bolt Base - needless to say who got my business.

I appreciate that in a fix there is sometimes no alternative, but some suppliers really need to address their unrealistic despatch charges. It is these out-of-kilter p&p prices, that will be the unseen undoing of some companies in time to come; especially when so many other suppliers offer free postage.

Regards.

Richard. 

54 minutes ago, clive said:

Ian, are you thinking of pushing the clips onto the doorskin return, and then the seal down into the clip? That isn't how it works, probably just push the clips off.

You need a clip tool. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372570825647  

I make mine from a strip, about twice as wide as the clips. Fold one end over but it needs just enough gap for a clip to sit in it snugly. I use a small spanner as a spacer, but almost anything will do. Other end I fold over at 90 degrees so I have something to hold, and wrap in gaffer tape. A bit of blutak or similar sticky stuff to stop the clips falling out.

Strip and door lined up, pull clip up onto both at the same time. Takes a bit of a knack. And some clips are too tight (maybe spitfire, years since I have done a herald/vitesse.)

Other thing, the original strips were shaped to clear the 1/4 light. Some people put a slit so the rubber can sit higher against the 1/4 light, I cut a thin strip off so it was tidier. Many don't do anything about it.

Thanks Clive,

That is how I was planning to install the seals, albeit with the clips supported by a tool such as you describe to keep them in place during the process. I will experiment with your approach when the new clips turn up to see what procedure works best for me. The point you make about the quarterlight is helpful, are you able to explain further about your method of cutting a strip off? Where exactly do you remove the material from?

Regards,

Ian  

i always tied a long bit of cotton on each clip  you an retrieve the little sods when they fly off

six pair of hands one pull clip up one to hold seal down another to hold a timber punch  and one more with the mallet 

then its pull up   press  down   hold still   whack  the seal down  all at the same time 

Pete