On my GT6, both trunnions have the same part number on. Aren’t they handed because of the left hand or right hand Acme thread on the, also handed, vertical links? The part number on the trunnions is 645627 & they have Stanpart on too. 
Is it possible to incorrectly build using the same v link and trunnion on both sides? Will the steering arm still go through the v link and fix properly? 

Yes, perfectly symmetrical, apart from the thread. I am certain the trunnion less ones for GT6 are supplied 2 identical.

Spitfires etc are different, don't have the separate caliper mounting brackets, having it cast as part of the VL. So obviously handed.

15878805615341806094124623210661.jpg

1587880641595461693291443774597.jpg

15878806703224635256219317761237.jpg

Currently-supplied versions often have an L or an R on the bottom plate as a guide. I seem to remember that some trunnions were made multi-threaded and will fit either side - they'll have a criss-cross pattern of threads on the inside as opposed to the spiral of handed versions. I must see if I have any just to jog the memory.

That VL in your top photo is suspect, Clive... badly worn where the top of the trunnion would have been and in the usual place to snap off. I'm assuming that's the reason it's nowhere near a car?

Indeed, I have been going through stuff in the loft and garage. This got stripped of trunnion/caliper bracket etc and was just sitting about handily. Can't get to the tip as shut. And even when it reopens I reckon there will be a couple of weeks when it will be heaving as everybody has been doing gardens and garages etc. Meanwhile my drive is piling up.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Currently-supplied versions often have an L or an R on the bottom plate as a guide. I seem to remember that some trunnions were made multi-threaded and will fit either side - they'll have a criss-cross pattern of threads on the inside as opposed to the spiral of handed versions. I must see if I have any just to jog the memory.

That VL in your top photo is suspect, Clive... badly worn where the top of the trunnion would have been and in the usual place to snap off. I'm assuming that's the reason it's nowhere near a car?

For now then, I need to know about these non-handed/double-threaded vl’s. Then check if that’s what I have. 

37 minutes ago, Adrian Saunders said:

For now then, I need to know about these non-handed/double-threaded vl’s. Then check if that’s what I have. 

It's the trunnions that are non-handed - some of them, and I'll verify that asap - the others will (usually) be marked left or right on the bottom. 

Curses! I lost my own thread. Got it now. So same trunnions is ok as long as dual-thread but need handed vls. Right, there’s a pimple in the vls, maybe something to do with machining the blank. It’s on the section between the stub axle and the ball joint. For me, that ought to be handed too but, on my car it’s in front of the axle centre line on the NS and behind the line on the OS. Again, suggesting the same hand vl on both sides. 

Adrian, it seems like you have the wrong vl on one side. Either leave as is, or get a new vl/trunnion for the incorrect side.

I have never seen a double threaded trunnion, and it would be a poor compromise anyway.

FWIW I believe some of the very first heralds had the same thread each side. Makes very little difference.

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'd love to see such a trunnion!    The stress on the threads must be great - the strain on a network rather than continuous threads would be even greater.

Darn it. I’m just rebuilding mine so that it will at least roll. We’ll be moving house ASAP so I need it mobile. Thing is, I was setting everything up level: floor (shimmed tyre savers) and I have the wheel centres the same height front /rear/both sides. Expensive laser level sorted that. I compared the trunnion fixing to wishbone centres and that’s where it all went wrong. I have trunnion-less uprights, larger stubs/bearings, alloy hubs, adjustable top ‘bones in stock but, I was planning on getting all that done next winter. 

5 minutes ago, clive said:

wd40. About once a year, probably should do it more often, not a lot of effort.

I would be swapping now. Will need geometry resetting. I used string and a tape measure, just like McLaren.

The thing is, WD40 isn’t a lubricant. I see that they do a silicone based lube spray. Is that what you use? 
I will start dismantling tonight. 

No, I use wd40. As recommended by Canleys. And Guy Martin. (he tried a load of plusgas sent to him by the company, he sent it back having triied it, with a note saying it was no better.... And that is not made public by plusgas who wanted his endorsement!)

In fact, WD 40 is a lubricant. Read the spec sheet, it is not just water displacement. In fact its first claim is it lubricates....

https://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/wd_40tec16952473.pdf

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

I'd love to see such a trunnion!    The stress on the threads must be great - the strain on a network rather than continuous threads would be even greater.

Me too, it would prove to me that I hadn't imagined it!! T'was long ago in a Galaxy far far away, but I can still picture it, so need to conform what exactly it was!

7 hours ago, clive said:

No, I use wd40. As recommended by Canleys. And Guy Martin. (he tried a load of plusgas sent to him by the company, he sent it back having triied it, with a note saying it was no better.... And that is not made public by plusgas who wanted his endorsement!)

In fact, WD 40 is a lubricant. Read the spec sheet, it is not just water displacement. In fact its first claim is it lubricates....

https://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/wd_40tec16952473.pdf

I stand thoroughly corrected. Has WD40 always claimed lubrication? 

5 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

I stand thoroughly corrected. Has WD40 always claimed lubrication? 

I don't think the formulation has changed at all. But I reckon it is a popular myth that WD40 is just for water displacement. Could have been spread by competitors, and indeed there are probably better lubricants out there, but WD40 seems to be a really good all-rounder. Seems to very good at rust prevention, and is/was used by NASA. And now I am sounding like as WD40 salesman...

The Guy Martin thing is funny though...typical him, and the chap at Plusgas who was hoping to rope him in was gutted.

If you are really bored, have a look on youtube etc for tests. Many are for rust penetration/undoing nut etc. And are not really good scientific tests. Too much overlap and spread of results as sample sizes far too small to take seriously. But most stuff lubricates and indeed penetrates. I will stop now before some members of this community get all over excited.

I do remember back in the 70's when it smelt really funky, no Idea what was i it, but probably some dangerous additive which was later removed.

I used if for cleaning & lubing my racing bike.

It was also called 'Magic Rocket' WD 40 can anyone else remember this?