Late 73 GT6 Swingspring.

Last year, I purchased a late 73 Mk3 GT6 totally dismantled but importantly missing its  swingspring.   At the last Stoneleigh spares meet I managed to  purchase what I was told was the correct 5 leaf spring for my car.    Upon trial fitting it to my diff yesterday I ended up with what you can see in the attached photo, with associated gaps.   As I've never seen one assembled, does this seem correct.   It just appears to me that the machined slot in the top of my diff is not deep enough to fully take the thickness of the lower leaf.  Or is it correct and I'm at fault ?.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  

Paul

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The problem is that I suspect that may be a Spitfire 1500 spring; 5 leaves, ok, but different to the proper GT6 spring.

The GT6 spring has 5 leaves too , but is actually softer than the Spitfire spring. I had one on my early GT6 and it was terrible, so obtained a NOS GT6 MK3 swing spring and that transformed the handling. I'm wondering if the bottom leaf is actually thicker thereby causing the lift; but having said that, this would mean that GT6 diff cases would have to be different to Spitfire cases to accommodate the shallower spring, and that's not the case. I'm almost certain that mine sat like that, too, when I first did the conversion, and caused no trouble.

901172262_ScreenShot2020-06-25at22_02_14.jpg.945129a6876d89254b70e4c131e37889.jpg

Hi Wayne & Johnny and all who have contributed to my thread.   

Whilst scratching my head over it this afternoon, I decided to part it from the diff and give it a wipe over.  

Thank goodness I did for the answer appeared before my eyes.  159654 emerged from beneath the grime which proves I have the correct spring.   I just need to check with the previous owner regarding the originality of the diff.  

Many thanks though to all who contributed to answering my question.  

Paul

0A9BB000-5761-4207-A392-49FA9189A498.jpeg

On 25/06/2020 at 21:41, johny said:

I suspect that the bottom plate is the wrong one if it has 6 holes and not 4. However don't know what difference this will make....

Johny, you are correct.  My clamp plate does have 6 holes instead of 4.  Looks like its been changed over for some reason in the past.

Just ordered the correct one from Canleys.