Trunnion Top Seal

Hi,

I fitted new trunnion sets to my 1500 Triumph Spitfire during the restoration last year, the car is not yet ready to go on the road and the trunnion seals now have cracks in them. Could it be the trunnions are too tight on the seals, there is movement in the trunnions so don't think that is the problem. The trunnion kit came from Moss Brothers so I would expect them to be of merchantable quality. Any ideas to why this is happening.

Also, is there an alternative to the rubber seals? I see you can get poly ones for some Triumph models but can't find a listing for the Spitfire.

Hi, when installing the trunnions you have to leave enough of the thread exposed to allow for the full movement of the assembly during steering from lock to lock. If it's on too far I suppose the seal could come up against the bottom of the vertical link. However I think it's more likely this is another example of the poor quality of many rubber components being supplied now....

It seems a bit of luck of the draw. I assume the suppliers don't always have access to a known good product and have get what they can. I replaced my trunnion seals from a suppler, who I understand  tries to get good stuff a while back and they were cracking after a couple of years. Replaced with Moss ones (as they are near to where I live) about 3 years ago and still seem good.

Dave 

s-l500-2.jpg.ef89155d5797c68e37d6e41b1c4dddf6.jpg

They're manufactured, ok, I just can't find a supplier - every time I try to link to a photo, the link is dead or the webpage no longer exists.

I bought replacements from Paddocks last month, but just in rubber. The instructions in the WSM are to screw them as far as they will go then back off until they will rotate freely in either direction, this for me has been 'screw tight then back off 180 degrees' so that the rubber cap is compressed very slightly. Next thread down ie a complete 1.5 rotational unwind is too loose.

In march I fitted new trunnions etc and a new top seal.

After 1,5 month 1 was cracked.. 

The previous replacements where still good after 6 years of daily use.

Oh well.. I do got some NOS (in Unipart bags) ones to fit.