GT6 mk3 Sun visors - cleaning

As we're on the subject of sunvisors.........if anyone has their sunvisors now acting as a bag of foam dust (as was the case with mine) then it's pretty easy to refurbish them. My passenger side one also had the added novelty of a detached vanity mirror that was slipping about inside......so something had to be done.

I carefully slit the heat welded seam at the outer end of each sunvisor with a razor blade, just enough to slide the covers off of the boards. I emptied out all of the 'powder' that used to be foam, cleaned all the old adhesive off of the boards, then scrubbed the covers clean. The boards need to have about an 1/8 inch taken off of the outboard end to allow you to glue the open end of the cover back together on re-assembly. I also sprayed the metal sections in gloss black just to improve the aesthetics. I then re-covered the boards with 1/8 inch foam wound around twice and glued in place with upholstery adhesive. The mirror was glued in place on the P/S visor directly onto the foam using the same adhesive. The cleaned covers were then slipped back on after spraying the foam with silicone so that the cover slid on easily. With the covers on glue the open ends shut and then trim any excess once fully set. Voila!.........sunvisors that look like new.

DSC06447.JPG

DSC06448.JPG

DSC06449.JPG

DSC06463.JPG

• Like 1

If the normal cleaning products have no effect then consider using thinners but very very carefully.

Rub in with a short haired 1" brush for a couple of seconds then wipe off.  It will soften the vinyl if left on too long but works well.

Roger

43 minutes ago, Paul H said:

My Vitesse vanity are full of foam dust so will refurbish as above though the mirror is in poor condition . Can the mirror be purchased ?

Paul 

Paul,

If your sunvisors are like mine you will have a clear plastic covered opening in the passenger side cover, so in theory it wouldn't matter if you used a larger sized mirror rather than using an exact sized replacement. Luckily in my case the original mirror was ok to be re-used.

Ian

Flash All-Purpose, the most suitable thing in our cupboard under the kitchen sink. Certainly removed loads of the crud. They’re not exactly white though, ‘70’s taupe? Thanks Maureen, I reckon a whole generation would have been unaware of that colour if it weren’t for her. If you’ve got an ology. 

DC5C6DF3-AA00-4E70-A8DB-2F398FF96B84.jpeg

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

My Vitesse vanity are full of foam dust so will refurbish as above though the mirror is in poor condition . Can the mirror be purchased ?

Paul 

Yes if they're the same oval stick-on version as the Herald; I bought more than one at the International and other shows in the last few years for future jobs; usually about a pound.

Can't find any online at present but they're out there. If they're inside the visor then as Ian says any mirror of roughly the same size can be slid in behind.