GT6 Rear view mirror assembly

I think - need backup on this one - that if you unscrew the clip assembly from the roof then it falls into separate pieces and so is easier to assemble, then bolt back to the roof. I think the design that prevents it falling out also prevents it being pushed back in.

Colin,

I know of what you speak. The mechanism is designed to pop out if whacked, like in an accident. You can’t then push it back in. You undo a screw at one end of the base, the side comes off and you slide the mirror swivelly bit back in. 

Doug

59 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

I know of what you speak. The mechanism is designed to pop out if whacked, like in an accident. You can’t then push it back in. You undo a screw at one end of the base, the side comes off and you slide the mirror swivelly bit back in. 

Doug

Thank you Doug! It was an early morning earlier and the fog has cleared, so thanks for the heads-up.

I’ve tried both ball on stick and ball on its own and I can’t get it in. (F’narr, f’narr). I’ll try some lube tomorrow and if successful, hopefully I can wash it out and get the stiction back. Last thing I need is a floppy one. I won’t be able to see who’s coming at me from behind. Finbar Saunders or what. This is virtually Viz. 

8B8950C2-9FC8-4D84-A93E-361FBD8AB7E8.jpeg

• Haha 1

I'm assuming your trying to get the ball back into the later style Spit/Gt6/Saloon dipping mirror itself, good luck!

I've tried in the past when trying to convert our Spit Mk2 & Vitesse Mk2 from the original small fixed or non dipping mirror to the later bigger and dipping mirror, all I succeeded in doing was break the mirror and plastic backing, but maybe I'm just ham-fisted!

I know the following won't help you re-insert the ball but this is how I converted the earlier small fixed or non-dipping Spit/Vit mirrors to the later bigger & dipping type fitted to later Spits, GT6, TR6, Stags & Saloons, after destroying a dipping mirror and plastic body by removing and trying to re-install the ball. I cut the locating lug which the mirror arm screws to off the ball leaving the ball in the dipping mirror the screwed thread goes deep down into the ball, effectively using this ball like a rawlplug.

I then butchered the older style Spit/Vit small fixed non-dipping mirror by cutting the ball socket out of the mirror plastic body & screwed it to the ball in the later dipping mirror, so the ball couldn't turn ie it was tight to the mirror body.

Then it was a simple case of fitting the old Spit/Vit mirror arm and ball to the ball socket that was screwed to the ball in the later dipping mirror.

Hope these photo's explain clearer.

• Photo 1- shows the locating lug cut off the ball in the later style dipping mirror
  • Photo 2- shows the older style spit/Vit normal non-dipping mirror ball socket screwed to the back & ball of the later dipping mirror, the earlier Spit/Vit fixed mirror ball can then be inserted into this smaller ball socket & job done.
  • Photo 3- shows the two different mirror arms & balls and sockets.

I think the ball and locating lug might be fitted into the later dipping mirror before the glass is inserted into the mirror plastic body.

Above conversion may help people interested in upgrading an earlier Spit, Herald, Vitesse to a bigger and dipping mirror.

Modifiied Later Style Dipping Mirror with ball cut off ready for Vitesse Fixed Mirror female socket.JPG

Later Style Dipping Mirror with earlier non Dipping Spit Vitesse female socket screwed to it.JPG

Bottom Early Spit & Vitesse Fixed Mirror Stalk Above Spit 1500, Dolly & Saloon Dipping Mirror Stalk.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

Dumb question, has this ball been in this socket before? And, if it has, why'dya take it apart? :lol:

Doug

Hi Doug. Yes, they’ve been together and it didn’t take anywhere near the same force to dismantle. I’d have stopped had it presented so. I will try a light lubricant and hopefully I’ll be able to wash it out with brake-cleaner. 

I've just realised I was talking about the wrong (roof) end earlier rather than the mirror end... sorry!

I suspect those may be built from the back to the front and the glass glued in place after everything else has been assembled, from the inside rather than the rear. Earlier cars are certainly easier! Freeze the ball in the freezer for half an hour; it may shrink it, and leaving the mirror in the sun for a while may also expand that part, in the hope that one or the other will give!