Recommissioned brakes

Woody2000

Hi just asking a few questions regarding my 2000 which I have stripped the back brakes and cleaned the front after not being on the road for 10/12 years 

I was going to replace flexible hoses all round ,new cyclinder  on back wheels and buy a  calliper repair kit but discs are £82 on Rimmers each.Do any other work as well ?? or other places to try ?? 

Normal hoses or braided ones ?? 

Thanks Mark 

For 2000 stuff I'd try Chris Witor https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=249

Or for brake parts in general "Bigg Red" http://biggred.co.uk/ although parts from them seem to be easier to find on eBay than on their own website http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Bigg-Red-Ltd

Normal hoses. IMHO braided are mostly evil except when a custom flexible is needed.

2000 discs are expensive. You can likely do better than Rimmers (Witor, Earlpart etc) but nowhere will be cheap. If you have to rebuild calipers anyway, consider getting a pair of used Stag calipers for rebuild instead (the overhaul kits cost about the same) and fitting Stag discs which, although larger and thicker, are considerably cheaper. Bolt on swap..... EXCEPT you will need at least 14” wheels.

Nick

i fitted Stag   calipers and disc i have 14" wheels  yes vastly cheaper than 2000 parts

i also fitted stag/tr7 handbrake cross beam expanders  exactly the same but the cale lever is 15mm longer gives a super handbrake  still on std 2000 shoes/drums 

i got some new drums from a reputable source  like  a 50p peice  ( was going to say thrupenny bit)   presumed clamped in a lathe and the jaws lobed the surface  dustbin job.

i had them too long for returns .the old ones were fine   ,  a must have i didnt need .

and a tip poly bush the trailing arms solved any rear end twitch.,

pete

Handbrake operating lever  RHpic c/o robsport 

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and a tip poly bush the trailing arms solved any rear end twitch.,

pete

Handbrake operating lever  RHpic c/o robsport 

I thought it was the sliding drive shaft joint that caused the twitch Pete? It cured mine :)  Trailing arm bushes look a pig to do? Although i have never done them..... Are they dead easy Pete?

Tony. 

13 hours ago, Woody2000 said:

Hi just asking a few questions regarding my 2000 which I have stripped the back brakes and cleaned the front after not being on the road for 10/12 years 

I was going to replace flexible hoses all round ,new cyclinder  on back wheels and buy a  calliper repair kit but discs are £82 on Rimmers each.Do any other work as well ?? or other places to try ?? 

Normal hoses or braided ones ?? 

Thanks Mark 

If you are not used to fitting the rear cyls Mark? You might want to get one of these  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Rear-Brake-Cylinder-Clip-Tool-wheel-austin-morris-rover-cooper-1275/184349771754?hash=item2aec1a47ea:g:GDQAAMXQobdQ7r~K makes life a lot easier for the price.

Tony.

• Like 1

yes the shaft splines can agrevate the twitch but if the rubber bushes are soft the arm is able to steer the rear 

changed mine with a friend  used sockets studding and washers  and the paste lube supplied  did it  on the car , took about an hour each side 

just  jack and drop the arm enough to remove and refit , 

new bushes corrected a rear toe error i had pondered over but it came back to factory with decent bushes .

Pete

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes the shaft splines can agrevate the twitch but if the rubber bushes are soft the arm is able to steer the rear 

changed mine with a friend  used sockets studding and washers  and the paste lube supplied  did it  on the car , took about an hour each side 

just  jack and drop the arm enough to remove and refit , 

new bushes corrected a rear toe error i had pondered over but it came back to factory with decent bushes .

Pete

Thanks Pete, i was thinking of having to take the arms off. It seems ok at the moment after doing the splines, one in particular would hardly move. Being an auto i don't tend to drive it too hard and it happened mostly in the wet.

Tony.

there is no doubt  stuck splines are a right pain ,            mines got greasers fitted to give the splines a squirt of moly stuff grease 

it is a good fiddle doing it up on stands but i was not going to drop the arms as the brake flex are old and a swine to get at to change ...on a to do list 

got mine from chris witor .supaflex   

and no more wander about with a mind of its own     with the power steering fitted it goes firmly where you plant it ... the best fix ive don on her 

like many a bush  they take a good pucker up before they decide to pop into place 

Pete