Vitesse Oil Sender thread size

SixasStandard

Hello All,

I'm currently planning on spending this month's sweetie money on the required gubbins to connect up a newly installed Oil Pressure gauge in my Vitesse. The gauge is a period correct Smiths mechanical jobby, and on the advice of an experienced Vitesse owning friend (hope you're keeping well Richard)  I'm going to be using braided flex pipe. My question relates to the thread size of the sender on my '68 Mk1 2L Vitesse.........is it 1/8" BSP? The only reason I ask is that I've seen a 'T' adaptor being punted on E-Bay that purports to be for various Triumph models (including the Vitesse) but which specifies a 1/8" NPT thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPITFIRE-DOLOMITE-STAG-TR6-GT6-VITESSE-1-8NPT-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-ADAPTOR-II/122637100866

Also, what is the recommended method of making the connection at the sender end? the braided flex pipe that I'm planning to use has female connectors at both ends.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Braided-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Pipe-6ft-1-8-BSP-Fittings-Flat-Ends-041-6/283888602531

Any help or advice greatly appreciated (as always).

Ian     

with out a browse i expect the hole is 1/8bsp  and the switch /Tee is tapered so 1/8NPT  

that a  Guess 

why not use a brake hose to decouple and cunifer up to the gauge   

on mine its just nylon all the way 

you only need flexible to reduce engine vibrations/ noises being  transmitted to  the dash 

Pete

Hello Ian,

I'm well - thanks.

Looking at Paul's useful photo I have the identical set-up. You will note that Paul has a couple of wraps of PTFE on the sender threads, I did this also as a belt & braces and never had a leak.

With regard to the gauge, you must ensure you have either a rubber or leather O ring when seating the pipe in to the gauge, otherwise the oil will drip on to your nice new carpet !!

I chose the braided option as I thought it looked better and it fitted in well.

Job done really.

I have a spare sender unit in the garage complete with pressure switch, if it is of interest ?? You could try this to check the set-up and will be better placed to make a decision.

Regards.

Richard.

24 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Ian,

I'm well - thanks.

Looking at Paul's useful photo I have the identical set-up. You will note that Paul has a couple of wraps of PTFE on the sender threads, I did this also as a belt & braces and never had a leak.

With regard to the gauge, you must ensure you have either a rubber or leather O ring when seating the pipe in to the gauge, otherwise the oil will drip on to your nice new carpet !!

I chose the braided option as I thought it looked better and it fitted in well.

Job done really.

I have a spare sender unit in the garage complete with pressure switch, if it is of interest ?? You could try this to check the set-up and will be better placed to make a decision.

Regards.

Richard.

Good to hear from you mate.......and thanks for the info, and offer of the sender unit.

I've ordered the appropriate 'T' piece and adaptor for the Vitesse from James Paddock, and the 6ft braided pipe from E-Bay..........so I'm now sorted, but thanks again for the offer.

That's a good point about the rubber washer when fitting the pipe to the gauge, so I'll be sure to get something if it doesn't come with the braided pipe. It would be a heart breaker if I coated the new carpet set in oil!!

All the best,

Ian

1 minute ago, SixasStandard said:

That's a good point about the rubber washer when fitting the pipe to the gauge, so I'll be sure to get something if it doesn't come with the braided pipe

It doubt it.

The seal is specific to the gauge, I purchased quite a few at Stoneleigh this year.

25 minutes ago, classiclife said:

It doubt it.

The seal is specific to the gauge, I purchased quite a few at Stoneleigh this year.

Looks like I need to keep on your good side then!!  I'll have to check my spares stash to see if I have any lurking in the bottom of a box somewhere. 

Ian 

35 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

I'll have to check my spares stash to see if I have any lurking in the bottom of a box somewhere. 

If not, I will pop a rubber & leather O ring in the post, let me know.

1 hour ago, SixasStandard said:

That's a very generous offer, I'll let you know mate.

Don't worry, I will pop a couple in the 1st class post tomorrow.

where do you get these little seal washers that go on the gauge male union from, I've had to make them for years by turning down reasonably thick fiber washers it's not overly successful & I'm, not happy in using an O ring as the appear too soft.

Can you advise the supplier please

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

where do you get these little seal washers that go on the gauge male union from, I've had to make them for years by turning down reasonably thick fiber washers it's not overly successful & I'm, not happy in using an O ring as the appear too soft.

Can you advise the supplier please

Traditionally the gauge oil seal itself was leather and seals well. Searching for part number 2K4936 throws up quite a few suppliers.

David

e.g. https://www.trgb.co.uk/collections/wheels-and-body-fittings/products/leather-washer-for-oil-feed-pipe

• Like 1