Correct Haynes Manual

Hicks

On 29/07/2020 at 15:22, SpitFire6 said:

What GT6 rear is it? What ratio diff? 

Cheers,

Iain.

PS Nice car. I like they have been able to use a spit bonnet.

I'll be 100% honest - I don't know the answer to either of these questions and I wouldn't know how to find out!

Is there a way I can find this information out easily?

James

rear end.

if the drive shaft has a rubber coupling near the hub end its rotaflex 

if its a drive shaft    just  goes till  it disappears into the rear hub bearing block its a swing axle

that does for a simple start

as for engine manuals there is little difference in the basics between 2000/ 2500  so either manual will give you most clues apart from some obvious dimensional changes 

for diff ratio        push car for 1 wheel rotation and  count the turns of the propshaft ( I leave you to work how you do that )

if you turn wheels on a jack turn both  exactly one turn   the same or you get silly results 

let us know what count you get

Pete

4 hours ago, Hicks said:

I'll be 100% honest - I don't know the answer to either of these questions and I wouldn't know how to find out!

Is there a way I can find this information out easily?

James

Hi James,

The diff would be a 3.89 or a 3.63 or a 3.27.
If you have a speed GPS app on your phone;
Drive a constant speed like 60MPH for example and note RPM in 4th gear Without overdrive energised if fitted,

Goto  http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

Input your rear tyre size.
You can input one of the above ratio's or just select spitfire1500 or both GT6's. 
Match your engine RPM to speed and you have found your diff.

If you cannot drive the car you will need to get under it
If under it, look for rubber doughnuts or any CV's.
Measure the rear track. Only useful if you have OEM wheels.
The above information will confirm your rear end if it is Triumph.

I don't think there is a quicker way?

PS. You could use your car speedo, but it could be inaccurate or out of calibration. Tacos are normally pretty good. Nice with refried beans. RPM gauge is normally believable.

3.27 is my preferred diff for a spit2500. Best for the motorway.

Cheers,

Iain.

5 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi James,

The diff would be a 3.89 or a 3.63 or a 3.27.
If you have a speed GPS app on your phone;
Drive a constant speed like 60MPH for example and note RPM in 4th gear Without overdrive energised if fitted,

Goto  http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

Input your rear tyre size.
You can input one of the above ratio's or just select spitfire1500 or both GT6's. 
Match your engine RPM to speed and you have found your diff.

If you cannot drive the car you will need to get under it
If under it, look for rubber doughnuts or any CV's.
Measure the rear track. Only useful if you have OEM wheels.
The above information will confirm your rear end if it is Triumph.

I don't think there is a quicker way?

PS. You could use your car speedo, but it could be inaccurate or out of calibration. Tacos are normally pretty good. Nice with refried beans. RPM gauge is normally believable.

3.27 is my preferred diff for a spit2500. Best for the motorway.

Cheers,

Iain.

Ok thanks Iain! When I've got the car back I'll have a look - I know the RPM and Speedo are both actually pretty much bang on so shouldn't be too difficult!

Can do Pete's method above as well to clarify :). 

I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what it used to run at but it's been such a long time since I bombed it down the motorway.. I feel like it used to sit at around 3000 at 70, but that was with OD engaged.. Can't remember..

Also now I want tacos - I made refried beans for the first time a couple of days ago and they were extremely tasty (if I may say so myself).

5 hours ago, thescrapman said:

You really only need a GT6 Haynes manual. The few remaining differences will be obvious, or just ask here.

PI sounds better when on the driveway revving it by the way... 🙂

Does it now 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Interesting.

My housemate has an old BMW from the 80s that has some sort of injection system in it - I'm not sure what he's done to it but the smell that comes out of that car 😂. You can't drive behind him 'cause you just end up getting dizzy.

11 hours ago, Hicks said:

Does it now 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Interesting.

My housemate has an old BMW from the 80s that has some sort of injection system in it - I'm not sure what he's done to it but the smell that comes out of that car 😂. You can't drive behind him 'cause you just end up getting dizzy.

Same with. PI, plenty of unburnt fuel if it isn't set up correctly.

20 hours ago, Hicks said:

Also now I want tacos - I made refried beans for the first time a couple of days ago and they were extremely tasty (if I may say so myself).

I just wish they weren't called that... reminds me of reheated leftovers. What's fer lunch? Ah'm gonna refry last night's beans....

I too have a non-overdrive diff running a J-type overdrive... very relaxing on long runs. When it all works.

Some good basic stuff on diffs here:

http://gt6mk2.com/differential.html