Winter/Summer Strombergs Mk11 GT6

Ian Cooper

Hi, I need to ask a dumb question.

My CD150s have the single 'cold start/choke' on the front carb, with connecting pipe to the rear carb,

There is a 'press and twist' Summer/Winter screw but try as I might I cannot find a simple instruction for this two position screw, in the official workshop, Haynes workshop or GT6 handbook.

My guess is push in and twist (90°) for 'Summer' and twist and release (out) for 'Winter' but it could be the opposite. I don't understand why this is not stated clearly anywhere, that I can find, and an explanation of what is actually happening, when operated, would be good?

Any light would be helpful.

Thanks

Ian

no the  sprung and twist winter summer knurled brass thing is just a stop to reduce full choke use in summer 

push and turn it 90 deg  and it pops back allows more choke cam travel for richer winter choking

its a simple mechanical adjustable stop has no effect or connection with any mixture or base settings 

Pete

From the Stromberg owners manual

:- C) Winter and Summer Settings: Your new Stromberg 97 carburetor is supplied with the accelerator pump rod in the W (Winter) position on the throttle linkage. The S (Summer) and W settings partially determine the volume of enrichment fuel discharged into the venturi when the accelerator pump is rapidly depressed. The linkage will discharge greater enrichment in the W position. The correct setting should be determined by the driver to suit local operating conditions. If the vehicle tends to stumble on acceleration, try changing the rod to the other position, then try the acceleration test again.

3 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Your new Stromberg 97 carburetor

And how does a "Stromberg 97" compare to a 150CDSE?

4 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

is supplied with the accelerator pump rod in the W (Winter) position on the throttle linkage.

The CD series don't have an accelerator pump

that is  not for CD strombergs    thats down drafts with an accelerator pump 

ie  as below   it is quite common on many  makes of downdrafts  the pump stroke has a rotating stroke stop ,(has two heights )  but thats not the case on any triumph down drafts 

and there is only the dashpot damper on a CD to enrich acceleration flat spots, no pumps

heres a pic of a 97   its ailen to most UK cars the adjustment on this thing is from moving the pump rod ball joint not a nice UK twiddle and done idea 

Pete

97 2

From an online manual on CD and CDSE models: "Choke limiting spindle adjustment 0 winter setting, stop cross pin in horizontal slot in casting. Summer setting, depress spring loaded pin and turn 90°." So it seems you depress and turn for summer, as Ian says back in the first post.

From this online manual: https://www.howacarworks.com/fuel-systems/adjusting-a-stromberg-carburettor

"Some Strombergs have a two position screw to limit the use of the choke according to the season. It has a spring under its head. Set it with the spring compressed for summer and the tension released for winter (only necessary in freezing weather)"

If I have one on any of my Strombergs, I've never seen it and furthermore never used it... :)

• Like 1