Paint/advice for vinyl headlining restoration

11nick

Finished the repairs to the underside of my GT6 Mk2 tub  and sent it off for some stonechip to be applied to the bottom . Unfortunately there is some speckling of yellow (body colour) overspray on the black headlining - a real shame . Has anyone used a paint for vinyl headlining with good results? 

TIA Nick

There are some special vinyl paints around. Many years ago I used Vinylcote (or kote?) to do my vitesse seats, lasted really well.

But can the overspray not be removed? if 2k paint unlikely, but celly or basecoat should come off with cellulose thinners, maybe using a cotton bud?

43 minutes ago, clive said:

maybe using a cotton bud?

Tut, tut! As off 1/10/2020 cotton buds, along with plastic straws, are no longer for sale. Fortunately I have half a box, £1 each anyone?

I think there are a couple of threads on here about painting head linings? 

Doug

I'll stick with the paper stemmed ones that still appear to be available.

59 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Tut, tut! As off 1/10/2020 cotton buds, along with plastic straws, are no longer for sale. Fortunately I have half a box, £1 each anyone?

At least the stems don't disolve in solvents?

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I think there are a couple of threads on here about painting head linings? 

Doug

Its all in the detail.... plastic stemmed cotton buds banned. Paper stemmed ones OK.

So fret not, there will be no shortage (or I hope stockpiling, though amusing if anybody has bought loads of them!)

Clive, Poppyman, thanks for suggestions - sadly I've tried cellulose thinners...won't touch it. I;ll try a small test patch with some vinyl silk if I can find it in black! Likewise with the Vinylcote - will post with the outcome!

cheers guys.

23 minutes ago, 11nick said:

Clive, Poppyman, thanks for suggestions - sadly I've tried cellulose thinners...won't touch it. I;ll try a small test patch with some vinyl silk if I can find it in black! Likewise with the Vinylcote - will post with the outcome!

cheers guys.

I think vinylcote might be to strong chemical wise for it as the headlining is quite thin Nick?? Great for seats though. You can get black emulsion but only use vinyl silk, the others tend to crack.

Tony.    

23 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I think vinylcote might be to strong chemical wise for it as the headlining is quite thin Nick?? Great for seats though. You can get black emulsion but only use vinyl silk, the others tend to crack.

Tony.    

I also used it on door trims and side panels. They indeed wrinkled and initially I thought they were ruined, but the solvents slowly evaporated and all was well after a couple of days. But headlining is thin, so no idea how it would work out. 

14 hours ago, clive said:

I also used it on door trims and side panels. They indeed wrinkled and initially I thought they were ruined, but the solvents slowly evaporated and all was well after a couple of days. But headlining is thin, so no idea how it would work out. 

I had the same problem Clive, only one door card didn't survive as it went rock hard when crinkled and fell to bits. So used emulsion on the headlining which came out far better than i had hoped for :) 

Tony.

• Like 1