Rubber window seals

Ian Cooper

Hi.

I'm about to refit the glazing on my GT6 and read the recent pieces on fitting the windscreen rubber. It made me wonder if anyone has tried Waxoyle instead of sealant? In my head it seems a good option, it should lubricate the seal to glass, to aide seating, and in theory, as it doesn't 'set', should make it water tight.

Any thoughts??

Ian

I wouldn't use Waxoyl, I suspect the rubber might deteriorate quite quickly - and yes, it does set hard.  In fact I wouldn't use Waxoyl anywhere on any of my cars.  Dinitrol is the stuff to use underneath, but a non-setting glazing sealant like Arbomast or the 3M equivalent is what I use routinely for glass.  Very messy but definitely does the job.  I haven't done my GT6 screen yet (I've only had the car a week), but on all my other restorations it's been Arbomast in the inside groove in the gasket and stick around the glass, then fill the outside groove with Arbomast and lay a piece of strong nylon cord in the groove over the mastic.  Place on the car, engaging the bottom of the gasket on the body flange, and with someone pressing firmly but gently on the outside pull the cord from inside the car to flip the gasket lip over the flange.  I'd have thought the GT6 is the same.

On 19/10/2020 at 11:45, poppyman said:

I have found modern Waxoyl does set hard, rock hard in fact.

It can set quite hard; it sets like a solid wax, which is all to the good once a panel is coated. I wouldn't use it as a sealant for rubber seals, though. I use it a lot (easier to get over here) especially in doors, remote corners of wings or boot floor, and behind overriders, and when my Herald chassis comes back from the sprayer I'll literally fill it with the stuff and then let it drain out. I do find that the slightest heat softens it again, but as I'm content to reapply it regularly and have a dozen or so tins of it on the shelf I might as well keep using it. For screen or window seals, as Roger says use Arbomast or the equivalent.

Hi Colin,

If you have it on the shelf then obviously it makes sense to use it, but when you run out I'd strongly recommend trying Dinitrol (3125 and 4941, although the numbers might have changed - or the newer High Performance), it's like chalk and cheese.  And lasts a lot longer before needing a reapplication.

Sorry, gone OT!

• Like 2